Interaction 14: Making It Work.

I sat down across Abdulhamid who was enjoying his breakfast. He just came back from dropping Ihsan from school. Although I am excited about our progress I am also very nervous.

"Are you really thinking about what I told you?" I ask him.
"What did you tell me?" He asks sipping his coffee.

"I want to go to my mother's house for the weekend"
"Nope. Not this weekend. The next one"

"Why? But you agreed yesterday" 'And you even flashed that gorgeous smile' I add in my head.
"I don't remember agreeing to anything last night" he replies looking at me like I'm insane.

"Are you saying I lied?"
"No but maybe you thought you told me"

"I didn't think I told you. I remembered you saying 'yes luff. Anything for you love' and then you smiled"
He says nothing and continues eating his fries.

"Abdul I'm talking to you"
"Nabila I'm not sure about it"

"I want to know why you don't want me to go see my mum"
"You can go see your mother anytime you want. All I am saying is that it cannot be this weekend. Okay?"

"You're seriously unbelievable"
"I'm going to go take my bath" he stands, picking up his plate and coffee before walking out.

::

We are both seated on the sofa in our office. I was doing a research on bipolar disorder while Aisha was chatting on her phone.
"Why do you have that look on your face?" She asks me. I don't look at her.

"What look? I'm just trying to focus on what I am doing"
"And what is it that you are doing?" She asks peeping.

"Research".
"That's what you're doing but it's not what you're doing"

"What the hell are you saying?" I asked looking at her confused.
"Yes you're doing your research but what you're doing is actually trying to stop yourself from thinking about something. If not why the hell will you be doing research on bipolar disorder?"

"I have my reasons"
"When did you start keeping things from me?" She asks tilting her head.

I close the laptop and turn to look at her.
"I'm tired. One moment things are roses and peaches with Abdulhamid and the next we're arguing over spilt milk"

"So? What happened? What was your recent argument about?"
"I told him that I want to go spend the weekend with my mum and he got hysterical" I pause and continued "well not him really but at least he should have considered it"

"Do you love him?"
"Of course I do and you know that"

"Then what do you think the problem is?"
"I don't know"

"Maybe he wants you close to him. His ex wife cheated on him, maybe he just wants you with him at all times"
"You think so?" I ask thinking about the probability.

"Of course. If not that then what could it be? Because he loves you, right?"
"He does! He even wants us to try having a baby"
"Exactly! So you see all you need to do is give him time, let him get used to having you around. Eventually he'll get rid of all his insecurities"

"Thanks babe. I should go back to work" I hug her and walk out.
She's right, he's just insecure about me but he'll get used to having me and eventually realize that I'm not like his wife.

::

Abdulhamid's POV.

I eat a bite of my sandwich and turn back my attention on Isa who sat across me looking madly confused.
"So what are you trying to say?" He asks again for the 6th time.