Maid of Gevaudan

Two men, Marcel (Daniel Bonjour) and Sebastien (Gilles Marini), struggle through the rain. The men wear what appear to be French military uniforms and say they are running from British soldiers. Sebastien collapses face down in the mud, Marcel picks him up and helps him to move on.

(Marcel and Sebastien are apparently in Canada in 1760 during the Seven Years War (1754-1763). This would place the Beast of Gevaudan storyline in 1764 after they've returned to France.)

At some point, Sebastien writes a letter to his sister Marie-Jeanne. He explains that, even with the help of their "Indian" allies, they are losing the war. Montreal has reportedly fallen to the British and both Marcel and Sebastien are injured.

The men take shelter in a small shack. A British search party, with dogs, can be heard in the storm outside. The woman inside says they should look elsewhere for shelter because there is a creature of the night at large in the land. She describes it as a "Shapeshifter, a demon." When pressed by Sebastien she says it's a "demon wolf."

Outside, the British advance as the rain pours and the lightning flashes. They are taken out one by one by an unseen, growling attacker. One Brit makes it inside but the growls follow and pulls him back out. Sebastien's letter is seen lying on the floor of the shack.

Gerard explains that the letter made its way into the hands of Marie-Jeanne (Crystal Reed). He describes her as a "skilled hunter" and says she would later face the beast with nothing more than a "steel-tipped pike."

Marie-Jeanne stalks an unseen animal through the snow-covered woods above Gévaudan, France.

Gerard says that she would be known to history as the Maid of Gevaudan.

Lydia and Parrish have been listening to Gerard tell the story. Parrish says maybe somebody should resurrect Marie-Jeanne to take on the beast. He heads for the exit. asks him to stay but he explains that he is not just a harbinger of death, he's the cause of it. Lydia follows after but Gerard says they should let him go. Chris says Jordan isn't their only hope of stopping the Beast. Gerard believes Lydia may be able to stop it.

~~~

Liz, who is holding the gravely injured Liam after somehow running in to the Beast, has just burst through the front doors to the school amid the chaotic flood of students fleeing for their lives. She pauses for a brief moment when she hears the Beast roaring behind them until Liz looks at Liam in alarm.

"Come on! Come on" She says to him while trying to pull him with her. She rushes into the nearest classroom and lays Liam flat on his back on top of the desk.

"Liam..." Liz whispers. 

"I'm okay! I'm fine" Liam states after groaning in pain.

Liz begins pulling away Liam's jersey, which has been ripped to bloody shreds by the Beast's claws, and gasps in horror when she realizes just how serious the wounds to his torso are. Liz puts her hand over her mouth to muffle her alarm. Liam sees the concern on her face and tries to sit up to see for himself, only to fall backwards weakly.

"What? Is it bad?" Liam asks.
"No!" She tries to reasure him. "Okay, you can do this" She whispers to herself and places her hands on the wounds. "Vulnus sanandum, cura. Sana citius. Vulnus sanandum, cura. Sana citius" She mumbles the spell a few times with her eyes closed and then slowly opens them. She sighs in relief when she says the wounds have healed.

"That was... thank you" Liam says, not sure what to really say.

"To be honest I didn't think it would work" Liz admits and Liam chuckles.