V | Chance Encounters

𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊'𝖘 𝕿𝖊𝖒𝖕𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘

      "Yes!" Alice rejoiced to herself as she flashed her eyes open.

      "What happened?" Hannah asked from her bathroom. She peeked her head from around the door mid brush stroke.

      "Oh, nothing! I finalized Donna's party plans, it's going to be a hoot." Alice breezed over it easily, rubbing her hands together as she paced the sitting room. A certain chess piece had just moved foreward in the right direction. If she played this right, Hannah would be at the right place at the right time – then, fireworks!

      Alice padded down the hallway, her navy and silver polka-dotted dress sashaying with her movement. Leaning in, she peeked through the open bathroom door. Hannah stood inside, brushing her long, light brown tresses into her usual style. A few momentums from her stay at the institution, blonde streaks, still remained in her hair. They looked like highlights but, unknown to Hannah, they held a far more tortured past than she could recall.

      As Alice admired her twin, she finally felt like she was doing her part as a big sister.

      "I need a favor," She started with.

      Hannah glanced away from the mirror briefly. "What is it? Did you get yourself into trouble?"

      "No, no – that won't happen till later, promise. Can you pick up the catering for the festivities tonight? I've already ordered what needs to be there, just need you to pick it up. I have to get the retirement home ready." Alice batted her eyelashes, putting on airs.

      "Sure," Was the easy reply and Alice almost jumped up and down in excitement. However, she reframed, the act would be suspicious and she didn't want to set things off in the wrong direction. Turning her head to hide the mischievous grin, she hoped to whatever being above that all worked well.

      Hannah stepped out of the house in a fairly good mood. Her picnic blanket patterned, haltered dress reached a little passed her knees – maybe a little scandalous to the older woman in the community. Once again, her ballet flats tapped against the concrete side walks but only slightly – like walking on a cloud. Long story short, she felt good.

      The windchime out front of the Jenkintown pop-up diner twinkled and sung a beautiful tune. The breeze felt nice today, pleasantly warm.

      As soon as Hannah stepped through the restaurant door, all eyes were on her. Many were appreciative and admiring, others bitter and obviously jealous. Hannah didn't pay any party much mind as she went straight for the owner. The country tunes pumped out of the jutebox, seranading the customers with western twang. Simon, smiled wide and true, his scratchy beard stretching to accommodate his less than impressive chompers. "Afternoon, Simon." Hannah greeted as she leant lightly against the bright red counter top.