XIII | Melancholy Bottle of Sunshine

𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊'𝖘 𝕿𝖊𝖒𝖕𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘

      Funerals always made Hannah shut down. Of course with every town she moved into, she made connections along the way. Connections with humans, and humans unfortunately were very fragile beings in her eyes. They could be perfectly fine one day and the next have a heart stopping condition, that drops them into the ground below a week later.

      It was very upsetting to say the least. Karen, the mother of the deceased, was no where near consolable. It broke Hannah's undead heart, the way she sobbed into a hankie. Death's seem to bring out the uncensored parts of people. Real emotions, reactions and feelings are fully exposed. Whether it be ugly or attractive.

      Hannah made sure to help out in any way she could today. She offered to bake twelve dessert pies for the reception. Surely she would've helped with everything involving the funeral, but she and Alice agreed that they didn't want to seem suspicious.

      Jasper had been standing wordlessly by her side the whole time. It's not like she asked him to, but he just knew she needed company. Hannah didn't want conversation, simply his presence. And once again, Jasper showed how much he knew her through and through.

      They stood mutely, off to the side. Hannah's hands were clasped, her body stiff, expression blank and free of the turmoil going on inside her. She didn't want to wear black like everyone else, it was completely unlike her. She was usually bright and refreshing; so, she settled for a flowy cream dress that stopped at her ankles, tastefully. She compromised with a black cardigan instead.

      The wind lightly blew her pinned up strands, taking down the ringlets around her face, successfully. As the reverend spoke, she couldn't help but zone out into the complexity of her thoughts. A death wasn't the only thing weighing on her mind. Alice had taken her aside the one moment Jasper wasn't glued to her side to relay the news that they were leaving.

      It was customary, to leave once the familiar charm of a new town grew dull. Hannah always left without question when Alice said those words... so why was now so different? When her sister uttered that oh-so-familiar tripe, a sinking feeling settled deep in her bones. She had already shut down, but now, she didn't know if she'd ever open back up.

      So much life was here. The old folks home had never been so welcoming and accepting of her help. The people, although they had their faults, never failed to make her feel apart of something bigger. Donna and Joe, the newest old man Barnaby, she wished she could shed a tear as an owed of respect. Hannah desired more time, more time -- for once -- she didn't have.

      She wasn't just mourning the untimely death of Simon, but of the friendships she'd built over such a short amount of time. And... she hated to think about it, but Jasper was one of them.