III. II | Woman of Trade

𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊'𝖘 𝕿𝖊𝖒𝖕𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘

   "Good bye, darling." Hannah leaned across the center console of the family car to press a delicate kiss to Jasper's awaiting lips. She smiled when he held her there a moment longer, sneaking his hand up to cup her jaw. When they parted, Hannah had a dazed glint swirling in her golden orbs that Jas smugly loved to cause.

   He ran a hand through her long locks, pinching her cheek like he had been doing for the last couple of decades. Hannah didn't know why he suddenly got into the habit of doing it, but she never complained.

   "I'll pick you up after, yeah?" She nodded, cracking the car door open before he could kiss her senseless again. "Alright, love you."

   "You know I love you too." Hannah adjusted her scrubs as she walked towards the institutionalized side of the hospital as she heard Jasper drive back to the school for after lunch classes. Hannah was apart of an internship since a year after they moved back here.

   Ever since she had that vision of her inside the asylum, she wanted to get the experience on the other side of things. The safe house she created wasn't enough, she needed to know more. So, she volunteered to work at the hospital and take care of medical patients with mental disorders. First it was retirement homes, now hospitals. There was no need she saw herself unfit to fill. 

   The receptionist smiled as soon as she entered, nodding to her knowingly. Hannah was well known around here. Many of the doctors gushed that she was the most compassionate person they've ever met to Carlisle. Of course, Hannah wasn't doing it for recognition but simply doing the right thing.

   She walked into the breakroom, her badge ready for the clock-in machine. Once that was done, she wrapped her hair into a lower bun, tying the long tresses away from her face for obvious sanitation reasons.

   Next, she turned the water in the sink to a scolding temperature, her frigid skin not feeling a thing as she scrubbed her skin all the way up to her forearms. Hannah took procedures seriously, there was not one she skimmed over to get the job done.

   The door suddenly swung open to present Dr. Andrews, scrubs, lab coat and all. He grinned once he saw her, glasses slightly sliding down the bridge of his obscenely nose. "Ah, good afternoon, Hannah. How was school?"

   He never failed to ask her the same question every time they crossed paths. She admired his consistency, but would it kill him to think of a new question? Nevertheless, Hannah smiled towards him, snatching some paper towels to dry her hands. "Never short of busy, but I manage. How is it today?"

   Dr. Andrews walked to the sink she just used and turned it back on to wash his own hands. As soon as he carelessly thrusted his hands into the water, a yell of alarm left his lips. He yanked his hands back, like he had been burned, which was highly likely because Hannah just used it.