II. XII | The Reckoning

𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊'𝖘 𝕿𝖊𝖒𝖕𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘

      Hannah pushed open the dining room door with a wary expression marring her features. She was expecting another demon arriving straight from the pits of tartus, stopping by for a spot of tea. The idea was laughable but no where near humorous for the brunette. It meant she'd be the meal again.

   "Ah, flower. You've finally arrived." Gargio purred with a mischievous curl of his lips, he stood when she entered reaching his hand out for her.

   Hannah reluctantly took it, smiling small. As he sat her to his left, she was able to see who exactly their company was. To her utter surprise and relief, it was Declan. He sent her a secretive, miniscule smile, putting her tense shoulders at ease for once.

   "Delvin? What a surprise," Hannah spoke softly, glancing to Gargio with an arched eyebrow. He shook his head once, placing his hand on her thigh underneath the table.

   The immortal fought the stiffening of her entire body and instead focused on the servant placing down plates of food in front of the consuming participants. "Like we negotiated, there would be a dinner." Gargio eased into the conversation, cutting into his steak.

   Declan cleared his throat, starting on his own meal. "Yes, how is everything? I trust she's up to your satisfaction?" To her dissatisfaction, Hannah quickly figured out they were speaking about her. Though she knew Declan was acting the part, it was degrading in every sense of the word.

   "May has been... delicious, though Mason tells me you have been snooping quite a lot." She paused, feeling his grip on her thigh constrict, painfully. Straightening in her seat, her golden eyes snuck a glance towards Declan.

   "I was only exploring, admiring your oil paintings."

   Smiling tightly, Gargio eased off. "I didn't know you appreciated art so."

   "I am an artist, actually. Of course, you wouldn't know that because you spend little time with me. Delvin knows I pursue the arts, don't you?" The atmosphere was suddenly heavy with tension. Though it didn't seem like it, Hannah knew what she was doing. She was planting a seed for later, something Declan was having trouble seeing.

   Gargio's large fist sat on the table, making the silverware clink with the abrupt movement. He seemed to stare Declan down with jealousy. The demon would have to change that, then. "Well... I'll just have to have you paint me, my flower. Later," He whispered seductively in her ear, causing her to shiver in disgust.

   The two continued to talk about their deal. Mostly, Declan was supposed to get an installment of jewels. An even trade for giving Hannah away so willingly. The immortal couldn't help but roll her eyes at the conversation, sitting idle in her seat.