5: Did you do it?

" I am so happy for you, honey"

I was sitting on our cream couch facing my parents. Their anxious faces had turned to a look of complete joy at my words. I had just told my parents that I was going to accept the scholarship.

Nelly's words had brought a different perspective. I knew that MBPA was a great school that can shape my future for the better. I only have to deal with the people for two years but the school can help me for the rest of my life. I think it will be worth it.

"Thanks, mom. I think I made the right choice." I smiled

"I think you did too, Sky." my dad said giving me a tight hug.

I laid my head on his chest breathing in his cologne. The familiar scent brought a sense of nostalgia. I remember being a little girl laying on his chest, reading my favorite books. I was so small compared to him. I still am. His six-foot-five frame made my five-eight stature look tiny.

"Dad I'm sorry I got so mad at you. I know you just want what is best" My voice came out in a quiver.

I hated that I had been so rude when they were just doing what they thought was best. It's not like they made me go to the school. They just gave me the option.

"It's okay"

"I love you" I breathed his smell, sighing at the comfort.

My voice was muffled due to my face being pressed into his chest. I knew he could hear me through the shirt. His hold tightened around my shoulders at my words.

" I love you Sky." he said pulling me away from his chest. " You are so beautiful and smart. The perfect daughter"

I felt my cheeks heat up. I was never good at compliments.

"Go send that email" he smiled

I nodded my head eagerly before running up to my room. My laptop was still sitting on my bed, calling for me to open it.

I took a deep breath before opening up my browser. I sat at the computer, contemplating how to word my email.

You are doing the right thing, Skylar.

I looked around my room, smiling at the pictures from my current school. I felt my eyes water at the thought of leaving it. I didn't have close friends, but I was friendly with most of the people there. I never spoke to them unless we were sitting right next to each other, but I would miss them.

I had talked to my closest friend at school, Allie. Allie and I had a majority of our classes together but we mainly stayed within ourselves. We are very similar when it comes to our school work.

**

"Hey Allison, it's me, Skylar," I said into my mint green rotary dial phone.

"Oh hey, Skylar. You know you can call me Allie." She was quiet for a couple of seconds before asking why was I called.

" I need advice. I just got an amazing opportunity to go to MBPA" I explained "You are the smartest person I know. What would you do?"

"Umm, I would take it. It's a good school." She mumbled "So many of our classmates would kill to go to that school"

I knew she was right. She always is.

"But, the school is very prestigious. It isn't for everyone, even if you can pass the classes with flying colors." She continued

I nodded my head even though she can't see me.

"So... Do you think I could handle it?" I asked

I desperately wanted her to say I could and be a supportive almost friend.

" I don't know Skylar. Only you can figure that out"

I let out a sigh before thanking her and hanging up.

**

So, I started to type.

Dear Dr. Edward Deen

I would like to thank you for this amazing opportunity. I would be deeply honored to accept the Griffin Scholarship. I look forward to continuing my education at Mountain Brook Preparatory Academy. Thank you again.

Skylar Rowan

I read my email over and over again before I hit send. I didn't want them to take the scholarship away due to my email.

"Did you do it?"

I looked up and saw both of my parents standing in the door frame with big smiles on their faces.

"Yep, I'm officially a panther" I gleamed.

It's was hard to believe that I would be going to MBPA. I had ridden by the black iron gates so many times in my life, wondering what it was like.

I still wasn't sure if it would work out. My parents and I had come to an agreement. If I hated it, I could go back to Jefferson, but I had to give it a semester.

" Let's celebrate" my dad exclaimed clapping his hands together.

"Umm... Tha-" I started

"Applebee's?" My mom asked

I didn't want to celebrate. This may be the worse decision of my life and I didn't want the gloriousness of food to be connected with it. We can celebrate if I graduate from there.

" That's not necessary mom." I told her, giving my best pleading face.

" Yes, it is" my dad answered " you have worked too damn hard for this. We are going to get food" he says pointing a finger at me

I shook my head disagreeing with him. My goal in life was never to go to MBPA, it was to get a good job and go to a good school and by school I mean college not high school.

" I worked hard to make a future for myself. MBPA is just now a part of my future"

Both of my parents looked at me in disbelief. They knew I was saying the truth. I could see it in my mom's eyes.

They probably could not believe I passed up Applebee's. I couldn't either.

" Then let's celebrate you and your hard work. Even without MBPA, we are so proud of you Sky" my mom said pulling me into a hug.

I leaned into her side, resting my head on her shoulder.

"Let's get food then" I said with a smile on my face.

We all started laughing a few seconds later when my stomach decided to sound like a whale.

" I think you may be hungry, Sky" My dad chuckled, patting my belly

I gave a nod and an hour later I was eating a burger. A glorious burger.