||01

Monday, June 1st

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    That was two years ago, and now I was ten. "Kaida, what are you thinking about?" Zuko leaned over me, looking at my face from above. I was looking at the pond in front of me, feeding the turtle ducks. This was the only place I feel peace.

    "Two years ago," I said with a sigh, ripping off a piece of bread and throwing it to the turtle ducks. I looked at his face that was just hovering over mine. I gently placed my forehead on his.

    "K-Kaida?" Zuko said surprised, pulling away. "Why did you do that?" He asked sitting down next to me, holding out his hand for bread and waiting until I gave it to him. Zuko was my closest friend in the palace and the only one who didn't want to use me for my elite fire bending skills.

     "It's something dragons do to each other," I sighed, I threw the last of my bread before letting my hands slump into my lap. Baba was right, humans are horrible, I hated it here. I looked at the wall surrounding me. I felt caged.

    "What does it mean-" Zuko was cut due to his mother calling him

    "Zuko!" Fire Lady Ursa called for him. Then she met eyes with me, "Kaida! Uncle Iroh is coming home for the weekend!" We both shot to our feet. We looked at each other with huge grins.

    We ran up to Ursa and she put her arms around us. Ursa was a mother figure I never had. She took me under her wing the second I stepped into the palace. Much to Asula's dismay. "You both must look your best," she tapped Zuko on the butt, ushering him to go get ready. Then she looked over at me with a smile, "I'll help you put your dress on Kaida," she had a gentle smile.

    Zuko started to run down the hall, "don't forget to tell me about the dragon thing when you are done!" He said with a cheeky smile before running around a corner.

    Ursa and I walked in peace, before a thought came to my mind, "what about Azula?" I only asked because I knew I would be bullied by Azula later when she found out. We were the same age, and I was stronger than her, but Baba told me never to fight back unless they are a real threat. Azula is not a threat to me; she is like a puppy that barks too much.

    "She already shooed me away," Ursa rolled her eyes with a sigh. "I wish she would rely on me a little bit more. I am her mother." She held down a hand to me, which I took, now holding onto her. When we made it to my room she hummed as she walked to the closet. She brought out the fanciest red dress in the closet. "This would look so cute!" She gushed, walking over to me, she held it up to my little frame and almost squealed.

    "Go put it on, I'll do your hair when you get back!" She said, handing me my dress. I nodded with a smile, before running off to my bathroom to change. I liked having a mom.

I didn't care much for formalities, because for most of my life I had been living off stolen items. As long as there was clothes on my back, then I was good. But the feeling of Ursa smiling at me when she thinks I look pretty, that feels good too.

      What felt like hours later, I was finally almost ready. Ursa put the last clip in my brown hair just as there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?" Ursa said, looking in the direction of the door.

    "Mom, its Zuko!" Zuko shouted from the other side of the door. "Is Kaida ready to play yet?" I looked up at her with puppy dog eyes, pleading for her to let me go play with Zuko.

She faked a sigh, "yes she's ready."

    Instantly, I jumped up and ran towards the door, "don't go rolling in mud, you are so pretty right now!" Ursa yelled as I opened the door for Zuko. He was in very formal Fire Nation attire. I looked back at Ursa, who was smiling, one hand on her face, another on her hip. She looked in awe at us. I didn't understand what she was thinking.