||06

Saturday, June 6th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

The Gaang and I have came across a group of 'Freedom Fighters' or so they would call themselves. I sat in my corner, high into the air. The difference between rebels and these Freedom Fighters is that they live in a village of treehouses. Everyone lives up here.

We had finished dinner a while ago, and I was up late writing a letter. I kept the candle next to me burning while I wrote another letter to Zuko. Writing to Zuko was a nice way to pass time. It was like I was talking to him, without even talking to him. I looked at my friends to see they were all long asleep.

I felt heat movement from down the ladder. I placed my paper and ink to the side while I stood and walked over to the edge. I knew that heat source now. "Hello Jet." I smiled as I looked down at the Freedom Fighter leader. It's not that I didn't like him, it's just there was something that didn't seem right.

I didn't like the feeling of distress and untamed desire pooling in his spirit. "Oh! Kaida! I was coming to see if Katara was awake." He smiled, sheepishly. What did he have to discuss with Katara?

I looked back to see Katara sleeping soundly, "I'm sorry." I smiled as he climbed to our ledge, before stepping off and sitting down with his legs dangling over the side. I followed him down. "It seems I'm the only one awake."

"Is there a reason a girl like you was up so late?" He flirted, which made me roll my eyes. I had invested in a long sleeve shirt in the last town to cover up my dragon mark. It's not like I wanted to, I just didn't want to bring more unwanted attention to our group.

"Look. It's a fire dragon marking." People at the last port whispered. "I thought all dragons were dead."

"Doesn't that mean she is from the fire nation?"

"She's a fire bender." I didn't realize being a fire bender was a bad thing. I sighed and covered my marking with my hand.

"Don't be scared to show your dragon markings," Aang said, walking next to me. "I know they look funny but I show my arrows with pride!" He showed off his hands, making me smile a bit.

"Okay." I nodded, my hand letting go of my arms.

Though not even a day later, a bowl of soup came at me as I walked down the street to find food, drenching me in what smelled like onion broth.

"We don't want fire benders like you in our town!" The people shouted. I frowned, picking up the bowl and walking it over to the man who threw it. I wish I was with Aang. He would dry me up with his air bending in seconds.

"You killed my wife!" The man shouted, smacking the bowl out of my hand, then raising it again to hit me. I caught his hand in the act.

"I have never killed anyone." How could he accuse me of something so against my morals? I attack only when being attacked.

"The Fire Nation has killed my wife. You are no better than Fire Nation scum." My eyes widen.

I instantly invested in a long-sleeved shirt.

As much as it was uncomfortable at first, I got used to it. Now I could heat myself with nobody noticing. "I was writing a letter to a friend of mine." I smiled, thinking of Zuko.

"Oh, where is this person from?" Jet asked, looking up at the stars.

"At the moment, he doesn't have a home." I sighed, knowing that Zuko was sleeping under the same moon as myself.

"Where did you meet him?" That was a question I could not answer. Jet is a Freedom Fighter that protected the people from the Fire Nation. In order to protect my friends, I had to keep who I was to myself.

"I met him a long time ago," I smiled, looking at Jet. I avoid the question smoothly. I didn't like to lie, so I found ways around it.

"The way you talk about him makes you seem like you are in love with him." He smiled, brushing hair behind my ears. I blushed at the thought of love, looking away while untucking the hair from behind my ear.

"I don't know," I said, truthfully. "I have always seen him as someone who I can rely on, as well as someone who relies on me."

"That is how a leader should think." He praised me, "why don't you stay and help my team and I fight the fire nation!" He raised a fist in the heat of the moment, cursing the Fire Nation.

I laughed quietly, worried about waking the others, "you have no idea how horrible of an idea that is." I chuckled again at the thought, "I'm sorry my loyalty is to the Avatar and that friend I write letters too." I was referring to Zuko. How odd it was to be friends with people on completely different sides.

Because of it, I dread meeting up with Zuko, not because I didn't want to see him, but simply because I didn't want to choose between the two. After traveling with these new friends, I have grown a connection with people my age that I have never had expected to ever happen. I looked back at my friends sleeping. "I think I am going to finish the letter and then go to bed." I placed a hand on Jet's shoulder, helping myself stand up.

"Goodnight, Kaida." Jet stood before walking over to the ladder.

"Goodnight, Jet." As we talked and said our farewell, I couldn't help but feel uncertain about him. Like a storm was brewing. I shook my head and lit the candle with my finger once more. It seemed to have gone out in the time I wasn't tending to it.

I dipped my brush into the ink before I began writing once more.

(Shorter Chapter Sowwy)
•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••
✨Comment and Vote Please✨