||35

Sunday, July 5th

Zuko

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

   When I had woken up, it was still nighttime, though there was a dragon hovering over me. I jumped up with shock. In his hands was a letter, a letter from Kaida. Did I receive a letter from Kaida? The dragon she sent me was huge, I feel like every time I see him he gets bigger. Don't tell me Kaida is keeping him at a pet? I raised a hand to my mouth, a smile cracking my dry lips, she would do that.

    It curled up next to me and let out a breath of steam as it closed its eyes. It must have been traveling all night. "You are really loyal to your owner." Well, he was made from Kaida's fire. Her foundation is loyalty, so its no wonder. I petted his head as I opened the letter from Kaida.

    Dear Zuko,

    Are you mad at me? Your last letter seemed a bit upset. Anyways, we found Aang an Earth Bending teacher, or hopefully, she hasn't joined yet, but I'm sure she will. She's super cool, probably the best Earth Bender in the world!

    At times like these, I think about how I'm your teacher, how have you been doing? When I last saw you at the South Pole, I noticed how much your bending has improved. I don't know if its because Iroh is teaching you or if you are just that good at self-teaching. Maybe I'm reflecting on my roots as everything around me is slowly changing.

    Anyways, I miss you,

    Kaida

    Mad at her? Why would I be? I sighed out through my nose as I pet the dragon on his head before falling asleep again.

    That was last night, before I heard that the soldiers at the village were causing problems. Now I was riding into that said village to get revenge for the family that hosted me last night. The sun was setting again, and I thought of the dragon that flew all the way out here for me. He should be back to Kaida by now, it was sad that I couldn't send a letter back to her.

    I just couldn't afford it right now.

    I lifted my head when I entered the village and noticed the little boy, Lee tied to a post. His head snapped up when he saw me. The hope and trust in his eyes made my stomach drop. He shouldn't trust me, I am his enemy.

    "Hey! There he is! I told you he'd come." The leader and his goons came out from the shadows, I dismount and take off my hat, I came here for a fight, and a fight is what I'm about to get.

    "Let the kid go." I glared, my voice deep and strong, I would not back down till the child is free. This only earned me a laugh from the leader.

    "Who do you think you are? Telling us what to do?" I huffed, they are so ignorant, selfish pricks, abusing their power.

    "It doesn't matter who I am, but I know who you are. You're not soldiers. You're bullies. Freeloaders, abusing your power. Mostly over women and kids. You don't want Lee in your army. You're sick cowards messing with a family who's already lost one son to the war."

     "Are you going to let this stranger stand there and insult you like this?" He looked back at his men.

    The soldier to Gow's left brandishes his spear and walks forward. I pull back as the soldier lunges, then draw the handle of my swords right into the stomach of the charging thug. The soldier who was knocked backwards, gets up and runs off.

    Another soldier runs at me with his spear, but I blocks and then bring him to the ground with a palm blow to the forehead. This thug gets up and runs away as well. This was like a wrestling match for babies.

    The last pawn charges me with his spear, but I break it in half with a blow. The thug drops the remains and runs. I looked up to see Lee, who was laughing with delight.

    The leader, made of sterner stuff than his men, draws his two war hammers and adopts a bending stance. I in turn, draw my broadswords. Gow slams the ground with one hammer, raises a rock and hits it with the other hammer. It flies at me, and I shatter it with my blades. I start to sweat, this guy was indeed better than his lackeys. Gow repeats the move twice in rapid succession. I destroy one rock but get hit in the gut by the other. I let out a grunt before I recover at runs at Gow with my blades.

     I am steadily driven back by Gow, it is hard to beat a bender without my own bending. But I didn't want to see the light in Lee's eyes flicker out when he understands that I am the Fire Prince. The thug leader alternates hammers as he smacks the ground, each time raising rocks and hurling them at me. Finally, with a mighty blow to the ground, Gow raises up a shock wave of earth and rock that travels along the ground towards me. A huge rock erupts from the ground as the shock wave nears me, striking me in the chest and throwing me to the ground.

    As I laid flat on the ground, I grabbed the fire connect me to Kaida. Remember your roots she told me. I pulled hard gathering all of her strength. "Get up." I think Lee had said it, but I could only hear Kaida.

    I open eyes and screams in fury. I spin as I get up, Fire Bending a circle of fire around me. Gow draws back, dropping his hammers. I fire a blast at Gow that hits him full in the stomach. The thug is shot back and falls to the ground.

    I finish getting up, I am wreathed in fire. This is what Kaida's power feels like. I have never used it before till now. I didn't realize I actually could. She just explained it to me once, eight years ago. I look at Lee who looks surprised.

    Gow recovers and gets back up. He assumes a bending stance. I charge him, sending many bolts of fire from my blade in Gow's direction. One hit and the thug is thrown back into the wall of a nearby building. Part of it collapses on him after he impacts.

    "Who, who are you?" The thug said as he crumpled to the ground. I closed the distance on him.

    "My name is Zuko. Son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai. Prince of the Fire Nation and heir to the throne." I sheath my sword. Kaida's power leaving with it.

     "Liar! I heard of you. You're not a prince, you're an outcast! His own father burned and disowned him."

     I turns away from the old man, ignoring the comment. Instead, I walk over to Gow, who cowers at the Fire Prince's approach. I was about to finish him off where I heard Kaida distinct voice.

    "No Zuko."

    I stopped and turned, "Return the dagger to the child." I didn't look back. When I didn't hear movement I glared back from over my shoulder. The goon stumbled to his feet and stumbled towards the child the dagger out in front of him. I didn't wait to see if the child accepted it.

    I walked over to my steed and hopped on it, grabbing the reins in one hand, swinging my leg over. It was time I start looking for the Avatar again. Because when I find the Avatar I find Kaida. She is where my roots are.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••