27. A Meeting With A Malfoy

Y/N's POV

After my failed Occlumency lesson with Snape, I went back to the Common Room and retired to my dormitory. The next morning, Draco pointed out an announcement on our Common Room about careers. Our individual times had been listed below for a meeting with Snape but my name wasn't on there.

"I'm sure it's nothing guys, I'll probably get a note explaining why." I said to the others, who suggested I go speak to Snape, but after the lesson I wasn't in the mood to face the Professor again.

At breakfast, I received a note from Professor McGonagall stating that I was to have my careers meeting with her. I refrained from telling Draco this information and at the correct time, I made my way to McGonagall's office.

"Come in L/N." said McGonagall's voice. Being referred to by my surname caught me off guard but nevertheless, I sat down opposite the Professor.

"I thought that it would be appropriate for you to have your meeting with me since, well, you are in my house." McGonagall said.

"Erm...yeah, alright then." I said, unsure of what else to say.

"Well, L/N, this meeting is to talk over any career ideas you might have, and to help you decide which subjects you should continue into the sixth and seventh years. Have you had any thoughts about what you would like to do after you leave Hogwarts?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"Well, a Quidditch player sounds cool. Or uh...maybe an Auror?" I replied, looking at the Professor. Quidditch had always been my passion but if that didn't work out, I wouldn't mind following in my parents' footsteps.

"Well, there aren't any specific subjects you need to take to be a Quidditch player but for an Auror, they ask for a minimum of five N.E.W.Ts, and nothing under the 'Exceeds Expectations' grade. Then you would be required to undergo a stringent series of character and aptitude tests at the Auror office." McGonagall explained.

"Well uh...what subjects do you reckon I should take?" I asked.

"Obviously Defence Against the Dark Arts," McGonagall responded, "I would also advise Transfiguration, because Aurors frequently need to Transfigure or Untransfigure in their work. And I ought to tell you now, I do not accept students into my N.E.W.T classes unless they have achieved 'Exceeds Expectations' or higher at Ordinary Wizarding Level. You do excel at Transfiguration so that should be no problem for you. Then you ought to do Charms, always useful, and Potions."

At the mention of the word Potions I grimaced and Professor McGonagall had the merest flicker of a smile. "I take it that becoming a Slytherin has not changed Professor Snape's opinion of you."

"Yeah...it hasn't. Anyways, thank you for your time Professor." I said before getting up and leaving.

"You're welcome L/N." McGonagall said before I was dismissed.

Walking through the corridors I was making my way to the Great Hall for lunch when I heard a voice. "Ahem. Mr Malfoy, can you follow me please."

It was Umbridge, I nodded at the Professor. I still was in her good books and I didn't want to be on her bad side, after Harry told me of her torture methods used in Detention. We arrived in her office and what I saw surprised me. It was Lucius Malfoy.

"Father." I said to the older man. I didn't like him anymore, his plan to raise me like a pig for slaughter disgusted me. How he was going to just hand me over to Voldemort. I despised him for that, he wasn't a pleasant man either. He acted like he cared about Draco but he enforced his ways onto him. I knew for a fact that Draco hated disappointing Lucius, it was Lucius' fault for setting such high expectations for Draco.