twelve years and hidden vodka

Twelve years

Twelve years. One hundred and forty four months. Four thousand, three hundred and eighty days.

It had been a total of twelve years since Frankie's brother had passed away. She was young, just fourteen but it's one of the days that is so engraved in her mind that she struggles to get rid of. With the anniversary of her brother's death coming up, Frankie finds it even harder to push her monsters to the side, even as she tries to explore the beautiful Mexican city that she's so lucky to be in. She's not used to being anywhere but home for this dreadful day- usually spending it with her parents as they console each other and reminisce on all the good times they had as a family. They go through stories, the same stories each year.

Her father talking about the time he played football with Leo in their garden and how he broke one of her mum's statues and then blamed it on Leo, who took the blame happily so his father wouldn't get in trouble. Her mother always talked about the time Leo got into trouble at school for pushing a boy, and then proceeding to explain to the teacher how the boy was being rude to one of the girls and how his mum always told him to respect girls and that's why he pushed the other boy. Frankie always told the story of Leo helping her with her maths homework the day before a test which resulted in him missing football practice for her. He was a dedicated brother, something that Frankie misses each and every day that he's been gone.

She knows that this year his anniversary will hit her harder than before but Harry doesn't know that it's coming up for no other reason other than Frankie not telling him.

Initially, she thought it be best if she didn't tell him, opting to rather spend the day as if it were a normal day, as any other should be. But when she remembered doing that with Amelia a few years back and how upset and alone she felt, she realized it wouldn't be the best plan. Then she thought about telling him, spending the day wrapped in his arms she cries about her dead brother. But then she doesn't want to make him sad or ruin a day in Mexico for him, so she realized that it also wouldn't be the best idea.

"Baby!" Harry calls Frankie from inside the Mexican villa, cutting her thoughts off. "I need your help with something please!"

She stands up off the sun lounger and makes her way into the beautiful home that Harry's team had found for them to stay in while he films for the music video. As soon as they stepped into the villa, they both couldn't stop gushing over it's beauty, quickly falling in love with every aspect of the white walled villa. She stalks over to their bedroom for the next few days, where she sees her boyfriend clad in a pair of boxers lying down as he scrolls through something on his phone.

"Yea?" She queries and he lifts his head quickly to see her standing in front of him in her pajamas.

"C'mere" he opens his arms wide and gestures for her to cuddle into them and she does so willingly.