Chapter five

I wake up at 6:30 the next day. We had some things to finish up with the case but other than that we get to go home early. I start the shower and start to pick out my outfit for the day.  I pick out some beige pants and a white shirt. I get into the shower and just stand there reflecting for a moment. Eventually I get out of the shower. I look at the time on my phone, 6:55. I had 45 minutes until I had to leave. I get dressed and start to pack up my hotel room. I figured we wouldn't come back here before heading for the airport. 

I packed up my bad and decided to go look around the hotel. They did have complimentary breakfast and I loved waffles. I walked into the elevator just in time to see Emily walking down the hallway.

"Hold the Elevator!"

Great. I loved Emily I really did but she was gonna ask me about last night and I really didn't want to answer any of those questions. But nonetheless I held my hand out to stop the elevator from shutting. I take a deep breath to prepare myself for what was about to come. Emily walks in the elevator and places her bag down. I give her a small wave, "Hey Em."

"Hey Natalie. Where are you going this early? You're usually one of the last ones ready."

We laugh at each other. "I'm going to get a waffle, maybe just walk around. How about you?"

"I was going to get breakfast too. Want to eat together?"

"Yea that sounds fun.". We walk out of the elevator toward the breakfast area making small talk. We walk over to a table and place our bags down. I walk over and start making the waffle. Emily grabs herself a bagel and some fruit. I sit down at the table once my waffle is ready and start eating. Emily sits down not long after me. We start eating. After a few minutes she brings up the topic I was trying so hard to avoid. 

"So what were you and Hotch really doing last night?"

I choked on my waffle. "I told you Em we weren't doing anything."

"I don't believe that for a second!"

"He just drove me to the store so I could buy some stuff I needed!"

"Then why were you wearing his jacket?"

"I fell in a puddle and I was cold."

"That's not what he said."

I stopped dead in my tracks. She talked to Hotch. We hadn't talked about what we were telling anyone if they asked. "Well then what did he say?"

"He said you didn't want to get rained on. That sounds a lot different than falling in a puddle."

I didn't know what to do. I look Emily in the eyes and she staring at me with a smug look on her face. She has her eyebrows raised waiting for an answer. 

"Okay listen, we were just hanging out."

"Hanging out?"

"Yea I was helping him buy something for Jack.". I hope she couldn't see my lie. Well to be fair I was only lying to her a tiny bit. Me and Hotch did hang out. There was just a little more involved. She looks at me and scowls her face. 

"Okay, Natalie."

We finish eating then get up and throw our trash away. I walk out to the SUV's and I start to put my bag in the trunk of one of them when I decide I'll do it later. I sit down on a bench and pull out my phone. I am scrolling through instagram when I receive a text from Hotch. 

"Meet me in my room?"

I smile at my phone and start texting back when I'm interrupted by Morgan.