Chapter twenty three

"Me and Beth broke up."

"Holy shit, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I knew it was gonna happen at some point."

"It still sucks. It seemed like you really liked her."

"Yea, but I think I'm stuck up on someone else."

"Oh." In my heart I had a small wish that it was me. But I knew that it was wrong. I was engaged and in love with another man, another man who might just be using me to get close to my team. "Hotch, I have to tell you something, and you can't get mad at me."

"What is it?"

"No, promise you won't get mad first."

"I won't get mad Natalie."

"Pinky promise?" I hold out my finger.

He grins, "Pinky promise." He bends his finger around mine and raises his eyebrows, waiting for me to tell him whatever I had to tell him.

"I didn't come to New York to pick up my dress, I came because I was meeting with someone who claimed to have information on Ben." I start to tear up, "A woman showed up, his ex girlfriend or ex partner and she claimed that he was only using me to get close to the team." I'm crying at this point. "And I don't know what to do." He doesn't say anything. He looks mad but it trying not to be.

"You met with this woman without telling anybody?"

"You said you wouldn't get mad."

"I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed you would risk your life like that."

"That somehow hurts more." He had never said he was disappointed in me before and it hurt. Even when I almost got killed he would just tell me to be more careful next time. I never got a full out, "I'm disappointed." I didn't say anything back to him. I didn't know what to say. I sighed, "I don't know what to do Aaron."

He pauses for a moment, "Well, did you believe her?"

"She said she had evidence but I just told her to text it to me and then I left."

"Well what can you do until then?"

"What do you mean what can I do?"

"Are you going to break up with Ben without the proper evidence?"

"No" I mumbled back.

Are you going to just forget about what his ex said?"

I shook my head no again. 

"So what are you going to do until you get whatever evidence she has?"

"Nothing I guess."

"That's all I was saying." He's quiet for a minute. He opens his mouth like he's about to say something but then he doesn't. I go to turn up the radio and he immediately turns it back down. "Pull over the car Natalie."

"Why?"

"Just pull over the car." I pull over to the side of the road and turn to look at him. He grabs my hands, "Listen to me Natalie, you have to be careful. I know what it's like and you can't let your judgement get clouded and you can't let your guard down. If you ever think your in danger just call me and I'll be there as fast as I can."

"I know Aaron, I know."

"No, I mean it. Don't get yourself killed. I won't always be around to save your life."

"Don't say that."

"It's true. One day I won't be there to help you out and who knows what will happen."