Chapter 9

The ringing of the doorbell sounded through the house, my eyes snapping towards the hallway. Fidgeting with the edges of the red dress I wore, I pushed myself of the couch. The sliver of doubt that he wouldn't show up completely evaporated. He was here. He was actually freaking here...

But the fact that I still didn't know who 'he' was, made my heart start beating on a whole new pace. I swallowed, my clammy hands tightly clutching together. Right now, I wanted nothing more then run up to my bedroom and hide...

The bell rang again and my feet slowly dragged me towards the door. I reached for the doorknob, adrenaline racing through my veins as I would finally know... Know who this person was.

"Come on Ella", I muttered, taking in a big gulp of air and swung the door open.

No fucking way...

My brows furrowed as I looked towards a familiar face. But it couldn't be him, could it?

"Matthew?" the corners to his mouth turned up, his greenish eyes staring right back into mine. How on earth is it him?

My frown deepened as I glanced at the phone in his hand. Holy hell...

I'm mean don't get me wrong, I like Matthew but I would have never thought... I looked back up, meeting his eyes, the air around me slowly turning tense. What do I even say right now? Does he really like me like that? I mean, he did say he was interested but what does that even mean? Do I wait or do-

"Alright, can you stop overthinking already", Matthew chuckled, pulling me outside by my shoulders "It isn't me"

Okay, now I'm lost...

"What?" I gave him a puzzled look to which he just shrugged "I'm just playing your driver tonight"

"Again, what?"

"Don't worry about it", he waved his hand, closing my front door "We have to leave though"

Leave? To where?

Why on earth did I agree to this? Wait, I didn't

"You're nervous, aren't you?" Matthew question made me glance up as I quickly followed behind him "I'm not"

"Then get your cute butt in the car", I threw him a glare and hesitantly stepped in the car. Fastening the seat belt, I breathed in, then out. These are supposed to be friends, I should trust them...

"You ready?"

I nodded "Yeah"

We drove for a while, the sound of the engine making up for the silence. I kept my eyes outside, gazing at all the houses as we drove by. The sun was slowly descending from its highest point, bathing the sky in a beautiful orange color. I would still have more than an hour before it would be dark.

The car took a turn, the trees that suddenly surrounded us making me shift in my seat "Where the hell are you taking me?"

Matthew glanced my way, grinning from ear to ear "I'm kidnapping you"

"Matthew, that isn't funny", I crossed my arms, flinching as the car stopped.

"Don't worry Ella, we're just at the park", he said as he effortlessly jumped out of the car. I glanced through the window, biting down my bottom lip. Why did they have to take me to a park? As if I wasn't freaking out already...

My door jolted open, Matthew's head tilted as he looked at me "Come on, you chicken"

My brows furrowed down "Don't call me that"

"Then don't be like that" I scowled, ignoring him as I got out. My eyes followed him as he walked to the back of the car, swinging the trunk open. A red bag came into view as he hung it over his shoulder, closing the trunk again. I shook my head. I don't even want to know.