CH 26- The Secret Exchange

Adelaine POV-

I look down at my phone when I hear the 'DING' that means I received a message. When I look down I see it's a picture and message from Nathan. The message says

Nate: "Wish you were here with us. Please don't work too hard. We will be back before dinner time."

And it was attached with a picture of all my siblings, Candace, Keith, Johnny, and Hayes all in their snow gear surrounding a wonky looking snowman. I smile down after seeing the cute picture and reply.

Me: "Cute! Wish I was there too. I'll have dinner ready for you crazy bunch. Please be careful driving back down the mountain and have fun. <3"

After the message sends, I put my phone back into my pocket and continue packing all my stuff. It's currently 11:00 a.m. and I just got off work. I'm back at the house franticly trying to distract myself. 

I have to meet my uncle at his house at 12:00 and I'm so nervous, I haven't stopped moving since I got home. I know I have all the money I owe him, but I trust my uncle about as far as I can throw him. And when he's mad about something he wants revenge. It's not that I'm exactly worried about what he's going to do to me because I've been through enough that whatever that man says or does barely even phases me. It's that, Nate has been been on my butt to answer his questions and I don't think I would be able to hide it from him if my uncle did something really bad to me. 

You just need to go in, exchange the money, tell him you're even, and walk out. Easy. 

Ha! Easy? When has anything with my uncle ever gone according to plan. 

Sighing at my own inner thoughts, I shake my head and continue packing my backpack full of the money, some water, a change of clothes, and a first aid kit because who knows what will happen. 

_____________________

*11:55 p.m.*

I hike my backpack higher up on my shoulder and slowly walk up to my uncle's front door. I don't even have time to knock before the door  is wrenched open and I am pulled inside, followed by the loud slam of the door closing. 

"You bitch! Where's my money?" Dorian spits out at me, clearly drunk. 

"It's ri-igh-tt he-rr-e Unc-ccle." I stammer out while reaching into the pack and handing him the $200. 

I watch as he takes the stack and starts counting. Since he's drunk, I'm guessing he can't actually count it all, but I wait patiently as he leafs through it. 

"Well I'll be damned. Your slutty self actually got it all." He replies and tucks the money into his waistband. 

"It's all there. Now we are even." I say with more confidence and turn to walk out the door. 

Girl! You never turn your back on a psychopath.

Unfortunately that thought crosses my mind a little too late, since I feel a sharp pull on my hair and I am suddenly on my back with my, very angry, uncle standing over me.

"EVEN? YOU THINK THIS MAKES US EVEN? HOW MUCH OF AN IDIOT CAN YOU BE?" He bellows down at me, spit hitting my face with each word. Apparently being much more of an 'idiot' than usual, I decide to actually reply to his rhetorical question. 

 "Yes, we're even. Wyatt took $200 and I just gave you $200." I reply. 

His hand is flying at my face instantly. My head snaps to the side as I feel the sharp pain and a small trickle of blood from his backhand. 

"You bitch. So you run off and get a smart mouth. Who the fuck do you think you are to talk to me like that?" Dorian says to me and then starts kicking my ribs.