Chapter 6

I woke up to the annoying beeping of the alarm clock, groaning a little as I rolled over the bed, inching closer to the nightstand where I'd left my phone to charge earlier. I turned the alarm off, already dreading the upcoming day as I glanced back to the bed, where Keigo was still snoring peacefully. Did he carry me to the bed last night after I fell asleep? Aw, how sweet of him. I smiled a little, admiring Keigo's messy hair and half-grinning face. He looks so relaxed... Too bad he needs to wake up. I washed up quickly, taking a fast shower and brushing my teeth before changing into more formal clothing for work. I walked back to the bedroom to wake up Keigo, my eyes falling on a small photo that stood on the nightstand.

On it, a small eight-year-old Keigo was dragging an even smaller seven-year-old me towards a massive tree in one of the parks of our hometown. He and I had been friends since we first met at age five for me and six for him when we'd ran into each other in a small alley behind a store that I'd often hide in. We'd bonded immediately and had been inseparable since then, and I was more than relieved that the connection was still there even after so many years. Looking back, I was still pretty surprised that I'd managed to even meet Keigo - his father forced him to stay inside the house and never leave, so I'd often had to either sneak in or drag him out to actually spend time with him. 

Keigo had been through hell as a child, and I'd always done my best to stick by his side and help however I could. I often used my quirk to help Keigo escape from his abusive household by distracting his father with my hallucinations long enough for Keigo to slip out, and I did my best to make sure his father was unable to hurt Keigo when he returned. Countless times, I tried to convince my parents to let Keigo stay with us, but he'd made me promise to never tell anyone about his situation at home, so my parents refused on every attempt. When Keigo's father had been arrested by Endeavor, I cried tears of joy right beside my friend. 

Even then, Keigo's suffering wasn't over,  and he and his mother had been forced to the streets. This time, however, I'd managed to convince my parents. The spare room of our house was then occupied by Keigo and his mother, and every day, I'd pull Keigo outside and do my best to bring him out of the shell that he was forced into. Although we were kids, he and I both were focused on getting stronger - Keigo, because he'd spent years of his life looking up to heroes until he was eventually saved from his torture by one, and me because I didn't want anyone to go through the hell that Keigo had. We'd spend hours trying to strengthen our quirks every day, only to return exhausted to our parents.

When Keigo was eight, his mother had made the mistake of calling his quirk useless, and I'd tried my best to hold him back, but in a fit of anger, the boy determinedly left the house behind to prove how strong he'd become. All I could do was run after him and watch in both shock and amazement as he managed to prevent a high-speed car crash and save multiple lives. He's so young, but already so strong, I remembered thinking. I want to be just like him. When he'd come back from the street safely, I tackled him in a massive hug and kissed his cheek. "You really did it, Keigo! You're so strong now!" I'd beamed at him through tears of joy as he looked at me in daze. The next day, Keigo's feat was on the local news.

Soon after, Keigo had been approached by the Hero Public Safety Commission, and they'd said they wanted to recruit him into a special training program for heroes. He'd been a little hesitant at first, but I managed to convince him it was a good idea. The agency gave Keigo one week to prepare, saying they would cover housing and all finances for him and him alone. We'd spent the week never leaving each other's side, every day full of us getting the most out of the week we still had with each other. That was the same week that my mom had taken the photo of us. Then, the dreaded day came. Keigo moved into the provided dorm, and his mother left without telling anyone where she was going. 

Although over the next few years, I only got to see him maybe two or three times a week because of Keigo's intense training, watching him get so much stronger motivated me to grow, too. By the time I was nine, I had a better grasp on my quirk than anyone else in my grade, and was set on becoming a hero to fight by Keigo's side - I never wanted to see him helpless again, and was willing to go to any necessary means to protect him. My classmates all seemed to group around me when they realized that I was the strongest, but they all disappeared after I changed by age twelve. I'd gone numb and forgotten my goals, and only thanks to Keigo's motivation did I manage to follow through with the plan of going to U.A. for the hero course. 

Keigo managed to make time for me every day when I'd gotten into U.A. and helped me push through my broken pieces, and in return, I'd offer him support in his own troubles. He'd meet me outside the school every day to walk me home, and he'd fill me in on everything the Hero Public Safety Commission put him through, from the training to the changes of wardrobe. With Keigo beside me, I'd managed to bring the raging monster within me under control, and continue my journey to becoming a hero with him. During my first year at U.A., Keigo and I had gotten even closer and although we'd know each other for years, I noticed I was looking at him differently now. He was no longer the small boy that needed my help to avoid his father - now, he was the brightest star in my life.

In the summer just before my second year, Keigo had taken me for a walk along the beach. For the first time in years, he'd managed to completely free up his day, and we spent the whole time together, from sunrise to sunset. When the evening came, he'd led me to a bench, where we sat in silence beside each other, watching the sky go from baby blue to bright orange to crimson to navy. His hand had crept closer and closer to mine until first, just our pinkies were touching, but then, his hand covered mine. I was a little surprised by just how right it felt, and in a burst of confidence, I'd scooted a little closer to Keigo, leaning my head on his shoulder. 

I didn't know how long we'd stayed like that, and I didn't care. All that mattered was that he was beside me, tracing circles with his thumb over the back of my hand. I'd spotted a shooting star and told him to make a wish before closing my eyes. I wish that no matter what, Keigo will stay by my side. While my eyes were closed, Keigo had leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, and after I'd gotten over the initial shock and managed to keep myself from becoming a blushing mess, I'd pecked him quickly on the lips to return the favor. Keigo had been even more flushed than I was when he asked me on our first date, but after that, we'd gotten comfortable around each other once again - nothing changed except for the fact that now we both knew how much we really meant to one another.

I went into my second year at U.A. with renewed confidence and motivation to do well - at that point, I hadn't really cared what I'd end up doing as long as I was near Keigo, and if the way to do that was to become a pro hero, I was more than willing to give it my all. I'd lost the respect I had years ago from being the strongest, and I didn't particularly have many friends, but I had Keigo by my side, and it was more than enough. As soon as I graduated, Keigo had recruited me into his own agency that he'd created, making me his partner, and after another year of us working together and being in a relationship hidden from the media, he'd asked me to move in with him. He'd said it was for convenience, so that getting to the agency would be easier, but we'd both laughed at his excuse.

My parents had distanced themselves from me after that one incident that happened when I was eleven, and had outright abandoned me as soon as they found out I had a place to live that wasn't the streets. I wondered briefly how they were doing - they'd hurt me when they left me behind, but I still cared about them more than I should've. Still, I had Keigo with me. It was more than good enough.

I shook my head slightly to snap out of my daze and leaned over the bed, poking at Keigo's toned stomach with one finger, a grin spread over my face. "Wake up, sleepy head. One more day until the weekend."