Chapter 63

The building burned bright - brighter than I thought possible - and as the gas inside it started to disperse, some people must've finally started to wake up, because loud screams of panic and horror started to ring through the otherwise quiet city. We'd made it halfway back to the van before turning to face the agency, watching it burn faster and faster as the staff started to rush out of the building, saving nothing but themselves. The sight was almost beautiful - something about flames had fascinated me for a while now, especially as they engulfed everything in their range, and Mustard had to pull on my sleeve to draw my attention to the fact that the rest of the group had started to go back to the van. 

I held the briefcase even closer to me, relieved that the members of the League trusted me enough to let me carry it back - at least they weren't worried about me running away with all of the information. There shouldn't be any doubts about my loyalty now. There was no way that I would've let the building get destroyed if I had still been with the agency, and it seemed like the others now realized that. They seemed to be a little more relaxed around me as we snuck through the alleys back to the van, not making any attempts to stay hidden by now. The deed was already done, and the heroes nearby would have worse matters to deal with than eight villains lurking in the hidden corners of deserted streets. 

We were already at the van, but I didn't want to go back just yet. I wanted to spend more time outside, under the sun breathing air that wasn't musty with the smell of the underground, even if it meant I had to be extra watchful to not be caught. I hesitantly followed Toga into the van, setting the briefcase down as my fingers fumbled for something to do. I didn't want to go back to the base - not yet, anyway. My discomfort must've been pretty evident, because both Toga and Dabi stared at me for a few seconds, as if they were waiting for me to explain my antsy behavior. I didn't say anything, which resulted in the rest of the villains piling in behind me and Sara, who decided to take the wheel, shoved the key into the ignition.

"Wait," Dabi commanded, immediately freezing the conversations and laughs that came from those around us. "We aren't going anywhere until Kira says what's wrong."

I flushed red as everyone's attention snapped to me, and I tried to wave them away, but the bounce of my legs must've given me away, because one of the villains whose name I really needed to remember raised an eyebrow, a sly smile spreading over his face. "What? Is the little hero regretting her decision?"

The poison in his words was hard to miss. I guess he wasn't quite convinced I was on their side just yet. "The only thing I regret is not destroying a few more desks," I replied, keeping my tone cool and even. They didn't need to know about the small fraction of remorse I'd felt at first. 

"Did something go wrong with the plan, then?" Toga asked, brow furrowed as she absentmindedly checked over the samples she got.

"Nothing went wrong. Everyone's fine, right? No one got hurt?" The others all nodded, and I tried for a smile. Staying around for too long would be pointless. We'd be putting ourselves in danger, and just because I wanted to walk around for a little more didn't mean that I should be risking the safety of the other members of the League. "See? Nothing's wrong. Let's just go back already. I don't feel like getting caught because we decided to lounge around here."

Sara hesitantly keyed the ignition and the van hummed to life, but Dabi sighed in disappointment and leaned over the driver's seat and pulled the key out again, forcing the vehicle to die down. He glared at me expectantly until I had no choice but to cave in - it'd do no good if I just stayed silent, because even though I didn't know Dabi for long, I knew he was stubborn as hell. I took a deep breath, still a little uncomfortable with everyone's attention on me. It felt like their eyes were burning holes into my skin, and I squirmed with unease. 

"I just want a little more fresh air," I mumbled quietly, earning a laugh from the villain that still questioned my loyalties, who I decided to nickname as Baldy for now.

"Would you look at that," he sneered, much to my discomfort. "Is the little princess too tired from being cooped up for  so long?"

"Yes," I snapped back, "I am. And sorry to break it to you, your bald majesty, but only one person's allowed to call me that, and it sure as hell isn't you."

I thought I heard a startled half-strangled noise leave Dabi, but maybe it was my imagination, because when he spoke, he sounded completely fine. "I'll stay with Kira here for a bit more. You guys go on ahead, we'll find our way back."

Toga spared us a mischievous grin before forcing us out of the van. "Don't wander off, you two!" She smirked, giving me a wink that Dabi somehow failed to see, and through the slam of the car door shutting, I heard Baldy protest about it. His voice, however, was drowned out by the rumble of Sara finally starting the van and tearing down the alley so fast that Dabi and I had to jump out of the way to avoid getting run over. 

I was still standing awkwardly in place long after the roar of the van faded away, more than surprised with how easily the villains listened to Dabi. Then again, he was by far one of the strongest of the group, and it was only natural he held their respect.

"So, princess," he grinned to himself, and although the smile would've scared me a month ago, it almost felt comfortable now. "Anywhere in particular you feel like going?"

"Sorry, I don't exactly have a list of my top places I want to visit when the League lets me go outside," I replied with an eyeroll in an attempt to hide the blush that I felt slowly rise to my cheeks as I realized what I'd said back in the van. I'd basically admitted to a relationship with Dabi, hadn't I? Or perhaps I was just overthinking it, and it was nothing. Thankfully, the mask over my face kept Dabi from seeing the reddish tint that painted my cheeks.

"Aimless wandering it is, then," Dabi decided, sticking his elbow out in an old-fashioned manner with a playful beam stretching his lips. I laughed and looped my arm through his, enjoying the new special treatment even though I didn't know what I'd done to deserve it. "Lead the way," he pulled up his own mask over his face, and I almost felt a little sad for some reason.

I knew it was a bad idea. I should've just gone back to the base and not gave in to the temptation of fresh air, and I should've stayed in the van with the others. After all, I'd just committed a crime that probably killed several people, and I was still being searched for by the agencies. If I wasn't a villain - no, a monster - before, then now I definitely was, and monsters had no job wandering the streets as if nothing was wrong. And yet, that's exactly what I did. With my elbow still looped around Dabi's I absentmindedly led him out of the dark alleys and onto the barely crowded streets. All the people had either ran as far away from the agency building or as close to it as possible in an attempt to help, so we barely ran into anyone. 

I was more than grateful for the masks that Dabi and I wore - they were simple enough, and yet, they were more than capable of keeping us from being recognized. Plus, hundreds of people wore different accessories to accommodate their quirks, so even the few citizens that walked by us didn't spare us a glance, not questioning the masks. Maybe the short hair really did help hide my identity. I rambled to Dabi about anything and everything that came to mind as we trekked through the streets that I knew off by heart, occasionally pausing near a café or street corner to talk about it.

My feet walked as if they had a mind of their own, pulling my body down the streets as if I was on autopilot, and naturally, Dabi followed along. It was only when he came to an abrupt stop that I looked around to see where I'd wandered. My throat instantly went dry and I stopped mid-sentence, whatever useless rant I'd been on completely forgotten. My arm went slack, falling out of the crook of Dabi's elbow, and as I silently stared up at the apartment complex that I once had the audacity to call 'home', I cursed myself for coming this way.