~~ 52. ~~

*When you educate a man you educate an individual. When you educate a woman you educate a whole family. - Robert M. Maciver*

L

ola and Helen had gone out sightseeing on the next island with Demilade mom and grandma. They left the women in the boat with Joan and went down to check out some places on the island.

It took them hours to talk and play with the villagers on the island. It was amazing how people on those islands are happy despite the simple and almost too-poor life they were living. The children looked happy and fulfilled. Some don't even have electricity or water supply inside their small houses. Some don't have good pieces of furniture inside the house. They prefer sitting on sand or mats on the floor. Some houses are almost similar to a hut but they are happy.

Although, there were bungalows and few-story buildings, it was still fascinating how everyone live a simple happy life. Everyone knows their neighbours and also takes care of each other.

One of the families they sat to talk with told them some stories about the ancestors of the island, the most influential people on the island and they made some nice delicious seafood.

Later in the evening, they said goodbye and promised to come to visit again if they haven't left for the city.

Helen and Lola left with broad smiles on their faces. As for Lola she was more than excited for the experience and all the thoughts of Demilade not able to make it for the outing he promised, flew out of her mind.

Mrs. Jolaoluwa and her mother were in an intense conversation when they get back to the boat. Lola can see the forced smile on Mrs. Jolaoluwa's face before she excused herself and went inside one of the rooms in the boat.

Helen involved herself in a conversation with the captain and Lola sat alone replying to her messages on her social media handles.

"Tiwalola." She heard someone call her name. She looked up to see Mrs Grace staring at her. She gestured for her to come over to her side and she politely did.

"Yes, ma." She sat on the seat beside the old woman.

"What do your family think about your relationship with my grandson?" She asked.

She looked at the woman and then looked away.

"It's just my dad and my junior brother."

"What about your mother?"

"She isn't there."

"Is she late?"

"No ma. She left when I was young." She told her honestly.

The woman sighed. "I'm sorry about that." Lola shakes her head with a smile.

"No need for that ma."

"You might think that you are fine without her but you and I know that you miss her presence in your life. There is a void she left that no one can fill." The old woman said and Lola looked at her.

She wasn't wrong about that. No matter how much she tried to deny it and how much she wants to hate her, she still miss her. And it sometimes pained her that she could miss the woman who had birthed her and left her family.

"It's just so unfortunate for some children. My grandson is not exceptional. You are almost alike in that aspect." The woman said.

Did Demilade father also abandon him and his mother? Lola thought. Is that why he hated his name?

Not like she could ask that. That is his personal problem and story.

"So back to the question my dear, what does your father think about your relationship with Demmy?"