Chapter 49

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 49

Varnavat, Dwapar Yuga

Yudhisthir POV

Fifteen days had been passed since we left Hastinapur and came to the village of Varnavat. Here, we built a hut for ourselves in the forest outside the village. Maharishi Veda Vyasa ordered us to do hard penance while living in forest. But we were facing a problem. Each and every day, lots and lots of men, women and children came to meet us. They stayed with us for the whole days. Somebody wanted to help us with our daily work. Women always bought home-cooked delicious food for us. Bheem was most delighted with this arrangement. He ate the half of our whole ration and the other five including Mata ate the other half. Sometimes, Kakashri Vidura and Kulguru Kripacharya came to meet us. One day, I also saw anuj Vikarna and anuj Yuyutsu came to our hut. We have received some shocking news from them. Angraaj Karna was also a student of Bhargava Parashurama, just like Pitamah and Dronacharya. Bhargava wanted a duel with anuj Duryodhana as Karna's Guru Dakshina. Anuj Duryodhana agreed to pay his friend's Guru Dakshina, and he, along with Angraaj, went on a journey towards the Mahendra hills.

I heaved a sigh and prayed for my anuj. I know that he is a brave and mighty warrior, but, he is not a match for the immortal avatar of Narayana. But still, some part of my mind knew that he was safe. I looked at the sky. The moon was very small. The next day was the new moon. Then I heard footsteps behind me. It was Sahdeva.

"Pranipat, Jyesth Bhrata.", He bowed his head to me.

"Ayushmaan Bhava, anuj." I blessed him.

"What are you doing here, Jyesth? It is midnight. You should go to sleep."

"I can't sleep today, anuj. A lot of things are troubling my mind today. I am afraid for your safety, anuj. I am afraid for all of you."

"Bhratashri, you are Yudhisthir. You are the Jyesth Pandava. You are the embodiment of Dharma himself. You mustn't lose your mind like that. If you lose your mind, then the four of us will lose our way. We can't lose our way in this crucial time. You know Jyesth, once Bhrata Duryodhana said to me that one mustn't lose his hope until his last breath."

My little brother's words literally cleared my mind. His each and every word was correct.

"I am the eldest. I must stay strong; else I can't save my mother and brothers from upcoming dangers. Thank you anuj, you clear up the doubts in my mind."

Sahdeva smiled and nodded.

"This is my Dharma, Jyesth. You know that very well."

I mockingly ruffled his hair, imitating Bhrata Duryodhana. Sahdeva blushed deep red.

"Jyesth Bhrata, you too!"

Then we both started laughing. This was the first time when I laughed this much harder. I was always managed to control my emotions, but my little brother's adorable smile was contagious. After a few moments of loud laughter, we were both at a verge of tears.

"Jyesth, can I ask you something?" Sahdeva asked me. I nodded affirmatively.

"Bhratashri, for the last fifteen days, we were living in this forest. But, are we really doing something fruitful here? Every single day, we were spending time with the people. Now, please do not misunderstand me, I love spending time with them. I respect their emotions towards us. We have the armour of their blessings on us, but aren't we disobeying the orders of Maharishi?"