Chapter 20

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 20

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Ashwatthama POV

Today, I was very happy, because my father came back after a week. I didn't know what happened to him, but he became too much quite after coming back.

I went to his room, and saw him lying on the floor. I sat beside him on the floor, and started massaging his feet. He opened his eyes.

"Pranipaat, pitashri." I bowed my head to him.

"Kalyan ho putra." He blessed me. His lips had a small smile, but his eyes had no sign of it.

Both of us were silent for a few moments. Then he said, "The princes of Hastinapur will come to my gurukul after two weeks. You will also start your learning there with them."

I nodded affirmatively. Then, a question popped into my mind.

"Pitashri, what happened to mitra Duryodhana today morning? He got unconscious again. It was the second time when he got senseless."

My father looked into my eyes.

"Today, when I checked his vitals, it was all normal. He doesn't have any physical problems. But, you are saying that he got senseless for the second time. What happened in the first time?"

"I don't know much. He was unconscious for two days. Then, one morning, he just woke up. Every day, he went to river Ganga with his brothers. Pitashri, do you know that he memorised the full 'Shiva Tandava'? I also go with them."

My father was listening with full concentration. He was lost in deep thoughts.

Then suddenly, he asked, "What happened in Sona village?"

I took a deep breath, and said, "A Rajkumar performed his dharma. I fought alongside Duryodhana, Dussasana, Vikarna, Shakuni and Radheya. We have thirty soldiers with us. All of them fought with valour."

"Radheya? Who is he?"

"He is the son of charioteer Adhiratha. He lives in that village. But, pitashri, I saw him fighting. He has talent. He has potential to become a great archer."

"A charioteer's son? A sutaputra? Is Rajkumar Duryodhana not aware of the traditions of this land? In this land, the knowledge of archery can only be given to Brahmins and Kshatriyas." My father said.

I was silent. Really, I don't have any answer for this argument. But, I know my friend, and I also know that he probably don't care much for traditions.

Then I heard my father's voice.

"Rajkumar Duryodhana is your friend. But does he even know the meaning of it? Every prince, after becoming king, will forget his childhood friends. Then they started flaunting their social status, because friendship must happen among equals."

I was silent because I had spotted the deep hurt in my father's voice. Fortunately, my mother came to my rescue.

"No, arya, this time I have to disagree with you. I saw Duryodhana. He is a boy of a simple mentality. Do you know when bhratashri came to our village, Duryodhana walked the total distance without any complaint? He told us that friendship is an emotion that comes from the deepest part of heart and soul."