Chapter 30

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 30

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/Duryodhana POV

Twelve years had been passed.

Sometimes, I felt as the luckiest person in this earth. First, I was born at Kali Yuga. I lived my life there. I served in the army with honour. I died fighting on the battlefield, with a bullet in my chest. Then, I got the greatest chance ever, by the Mahakaal himself, to travel in time and to live in my favourite epic, Mahabharata.

I came here as a kid. Now, I got the chance to learn about my culture from one of the greatest teacher ever lived in the universe, Dronacharya. But the incident with Eklavya shattered my belief and heart. But, I was cursing myself that how could I not prevent that incident.

That day, Acharya ordered me along with Dussasan and Ashwatthama to take the cows of the gurukul and graze them in the field. The three of us went in afternoon with the cows and calves. The cows were patiently grazing on the field, but the calves proved as a headache. They started running, playing around the field. They were just like us kids, playful and naughty. But two of them caused way much trouble. They ran into the jungle. Searching them took a long time, even for a skilled tracker as me. The forests in this Yuga were way much denser and thicker from Kali Yuga. I could recognise the trees and herbs, but still, finding the signs was tough.

When we came back in the gurukul, it was dark. The Sun had been set for a while, and black clouds started covering the sky. Suddenly, a fearsome wind started blowing with loud crack of thunder. Vikarna was waiting for us. He excitedly told us about a hunter boy who pierced the mouth of a dog with seven arrows. But his archery skills were so awesome, that not a single drop of blood fall from that dog's mouth. Now Acharya, along with Arjun went to meet him. Each and every word spoken by him was hitting my heart like a hammer. I immediately started running towards the jungle, with Ashwatthama and Dussasan behind me. But when I entered the cave, the damage was already done. Eklavya had already cut the thumb of his right hand!

"Jyesth! Jyesth!!" someone pushed me lightly. I opened my eyes and saw Dussasan. The thin boy was gone now and a grown up muscular youth took his place. He became a good swordsman.

"What is it, Dussy?"

"The chariots came from the palace. Today, we will go home." He was literally jumping with excitement. I stood up and stretched my muscles.

"Where are the others?"

"They are getting ready. I came searching for you."

While my brother was talking, I was absentmindedly fumbling the trident locket on my neck. Dronacharya had told us that we could not take any valuable things with us. I was a bit sad thinking that I had to depart with it. But the chain literally changed from gold to iron in front of my own eyes! I used the motorcycle for the first time to transport an unconscious Eklavya to Hastinapur. I took him into Kakashri Vidura's house where I along with Kakishri Sulabha nursed him to his full health.

"Jyesth! What are you thinking?" My brother's voice entered into my ear.

"I will miss this place, Dussasan. Yes, I am also eager to go home. But I will miss the time spend in here. But before we leave this place, I want something from you."