Chapter 11

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 11

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Bhishma POV

My father, the late Maharaja Shantanu blessed me with the boon of choosing my death at my own will. Death would not come to me if I did not ask for it. I took a vow to remain celibate for the whole life, and protect Hastinapur. I also vowed that I would respect each and every king of Hastinapur as I respected my own father. Both parental love and filial love were very powerful force. My love for my father prompted me to take the "Bhishma Pratigya'. Now, I could see that Dhritarashtra's blind love for Duryodhana might be the cause of destruction.

Duryodhana was lying unconscious from the last two days. But before that, he literally threatened the Pandavas. He took a knife to Yudhisthir's throat, and then knocked out Bheem. Kunti was so much afraid, that she begged Vidura to take her and her sons to the forest. I heard her voice from outside, and my heart literally shattered. She was the daughter-in-law of our family, and it was my duty to protect her and her sons, and to make it sure that she deserved the proper respect in my family.

I, admit that I probably made a mistake by talking to Dhritarashtra about Duryodhana's mistake. Both me and Vidura went to him and tried to talk about it. But he lashed at both of us. He even accused us for partiality towards the Pandavas. I hadn't seen him so angry in my lifetime. Gandhari literally ran to her husband and consoled him. Dhritarashtra then told both of us that we could never understand what the filial love was because we don't have son or daughter.

His last remark was hundred percent true. But still, it hurt both of us. Though the next day, he himself came to both of us and asked for forgiveness. Gandhari probably persuaded him to do that.

I heaved a sigh and stood up from my bed. Today, I was a little bit late. I went outside of my room, and saw a palace guard running towards my room.

The guard also saw me and stopped. He was panting. But then, he bowed at me.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Mahamahim, Rajkumar Duryodhana woke up in this morning. We saw him going to the Ganga River. He is back now in the palace and went to the temple."

My heart filled with joy. My love for Duryodhana and Yudhisthira, for hundred Kauravas and five Pandavas are same. I didn't care about what Dhritarashtra thought about me, I had never been partial to anybody.

"Go, pass the message to the king and queen." I told the guard.

"My comrades did that already." The guard bowed again and left.

I splashed some water on my face, and walked towards the temple. I stood outside because it was improper to enter a temple without a bath. I could hear the voice of Duryodhana from inside, chanting the Tandava.

But, today, it felt different. It was not like a peaceful chanting of a devotee to his deity. It was rough and more sinister. The amount of devotion was increased, but with him, the power also increased. It was not 'Ananda-Tandava', but more like the 'Rudra-Tandava'.

I heard some sound beside me and saw Vidura and Kripacharya. Both of them had thoughtful expressions on their faces.

"What are you thinking?" I asked them in a slow voice.