Chapter 16

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 16

Sona Village, Kuru Kingdom, Dwapar Yuga

Radheya POV

The night was dark. Today was the day of 'Amavas' (new moon). I could hear the sound of bells and drums from the Shiva temple of our village. Today was Monday. Every week on Monday, a very big puja was organised in the temple of our village. The devotees came from the villages of far away.

But today, today was different.

Today some special people came to the village to worship bhagwan Shiva. Every week, Maharani Gandhari sent some fruits and sweets to the temple. Some soldiers always came to the temple with those things. But today, her brother, Gandharraj Shakuni himself came to our village, along with thirty soldiers as his bodyguard. Gandharraj came with the offerings from her sister. But he was not alone, excluding the guards.

Three Kuru Rajkumars came with him, Rajkumar Duryodhana, Dussasana and Vikarna, along with another Brahmin boy named Ashwatthama.

My mind went to the events of the whole day, and to be specific, Rajkumar Duryodhana.

Flashback

Like every morning, I was walking towards the Ganga River. From a very tender age of my life, I could feel a special bonding to the Surya Narayana, the sun god. His scorching heat and bright rays were like the soothing, soft touch of my mother, Radha.

From the last fifteen days, I saw the hundred Kuru princes coming to the river for bath and worship. Sometimes, I even met Mahamahim Bhishma. But the one person, who made a special mark in my mind, was the eldest of the hundred, Duryodhana.

We met and talked sometime. He was a Rajkumar, but, he had certain simplicity. He spoke with me like just another normal person. I am the son of a mere charioteer, but that didn't have any effect on him. I didn't know why a Rajkumar like him behaved like a friend with me.

When I reached the river, I heard a loud voice, "Radheya, you are late today."

I looked at the source of the voice. Rajkumar Duryodhana was looking at me, with a smile on his face.

"Pranipat Rajkumar!" I bowed down my head. Rajkumar Duryodhana also nodded.

"Ashwatthama, come here. I want you to meet someone." He called.

His hundred brothers were standing behind him. But, after his calling, an unknown boy came outside of the group. That boy was a Brahmin, judging by the sacred thread on his body.

But the most astonishing thing in him was the glowing gem in his forehead.

"Radheya, this is my mitra, Ashwatthama. Ashwatthama, this is my mitra, Radheya."

Mitra!! Mitra!!

This one word struck into my mind like a hammer.

I am a sutaputra, the son of a mere charioteer, a lower caste boy. How could a Rajkumar like him call me as his friend? Friendship could only possible among the equals, right?"

"Rajkumar, what are you saying? Friendship could only possible among equals. I am just a sutaputra. How am I equal to you or your friend?"

Rajkumar Duryodhana sighed dramatically.