Chapter 18

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 18

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

The six of us had entered the empty throne room. Maharaja Dhritarashtra was in front of us, with kakashri Vidura helping him. Pitamah Bhishma and kulguru Kripacharya were walking in the next line. In the last line, I was walking with mamashri Shakuni. Maharaja Dhritarashtra ascended on the throne. Then he said

"Now, putra, tell us the information."

"Maharaja, a bandit gave me some information before his death. He told us that Panchalraj Drupad hired them in exchange of gold coins to burn the grains."

Everyone present in the room was shocked beyond limit.

It was Vidura who spoke first.

"I can't believe that a brave warrior like Drupad will apply such cowardly methods. Yes, he is an arrogant king, but this is cowardice." Pitamah Bhishma was silent, but his face was hard. He looked at me.

"Putra, do you have any more information?"

"Yes, pitamah. The injured man told me that Drupad ordered the raid because a Brahmin insulted him. He got the news that the Brahmin took shelter in Sona village."

"A Brahmin?" Kulguru Kripacharya's voice was dry. His face became a bit pale.

"Yes kulguru. The Brahmin was none other than..."

I was stopped in mid-sentence because I heard the excited voice of a boy.

"Pitamah! Pitamah!" it was Arjun. He literally barged into the room. His face was glowing with excitement and joy. But then, my eyes fall on the thing in his hand.

It was a football made by me, well; I ordered them to be made. But the ball was now pierced with a long line of tree branches.

I knew what that meant. I knew that who could have done it.

"Arjun! You must ask for permission before entering a room." Kakashri Vidura mildly scolded him. He apologized and started telling us about a Brahmin who helped them pulling out the ball from the well with tree branches.

The four of them, excluding myself and mamashri, were astonishingly hearing the words. Arjun was very happily telling the story.

"Then he told us to take the ball to pitamah. He said that pitamah will recognise him. So, I took the ball here." He held the pierced ball in front of him.

"Please tell me, pitamah, who is he?"

There was a little bit of silence at first. Then pitamah spoke up.

"He is Dronacharya, the son of sage Bharadwaja and disciple of sage Parashurama."

"He is the same Brahmin who took shelter in Sona village." I said.

"What?" Kulguru was shocked.

"Yes, kulguru. The man told us his name before his death."

"Hey Ishwar!! What happened between rishiputra and Drupad?"

I knew exactly what happened between them. But I decided to keep my mouth shut. Pitamah stood up from his seat.

"I am going to welcome him."