Chapter 1

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 1

Major Jayant Roy, SM POV

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was darkness. Being a commando, I have a keen relationship with night. We are trained to fight in darkness, using the four senses except our eyes. In commando training, we have to make a parachute jump in full battle gear, in darkness.

But this darkness is unnatural, abnormal. It felt like the darkness before the creation of universe.

Where am I? Is it a dream?

Then suddenly, like a flash of lightning, a thought crossed in my mind.

The mission...the bullet penetrated my armour and hit straight to my heart. One terrorist have armour piercing rounds in his revolver, which penetrated my armour. I literally felt that bullet piercing my heart.

So, there are only two possibilities now.

The first one is that somehow I was saved by my team, and now I am soundly sleeping and having this mad dream in the base hospital. But I am not so sure about it anyway.

The second one is that the fatal bullet took my life. Now I am standing in my afterlife.

But, is it really the afterlife?

I am standing in between what seems like an ocean of darkness.

"Well, major, you are in a dream or in a limbo. I don't know what to do now. Now I just have one thing to do."

I crossed my hands and closed my eyes. Then I started chanting the five-word mantra of Mahadev.

"AUM NAMAH SHIVAY"

In my life, I was a devotee of Mahadev. In my neck, there was a chain which has a trident as a locket. Every single day morning, I chanted the 'Shiva Tandav' hymns. I memorised it at the age of twelve, and from that day to this day, I chanted it every single morning.

I don't know how much time had been passed. I just chanted the mantra. My mind was totally focused in it.

Then I heard a voice.

"Open your eyes, Jayant."

The language was English, but the voice was....it was not like any human voice I have ever heard. I don't know how to say it, but the voice was non-human....

Slowly, I opened my eyes. As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw white light. The light was so bright, that I have to cover my eyes with my palms. Then, I felt that the light intensity was becoming lower and lower. I again opened my eyes.

There was something, no, actually someone is standing in front of me.

A structure of human body is standing in front of me. There was a big snake in his neck. His right hand held a trishula (trident). On his head, a big jata (dreadlock) with a silvery half moon attached with it. The body was clad with a tiger's skin, with ashes all over the skin.

His face had a peaceful smile in it. There was a third eye on his forehead, which was closed. In his throat, I saw a deep blue mark there.

I know who was standing in front of me.