Chapter 10

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 10

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

I opened my eyes, and saw the Sun God was just coming out from the sky. My head was feeling heavy, and body was aching.

I tried to organise the thoughts in my mind. What was the last thing that I could remember?

Oh...yes, my thoughts were getting more organised now. I went with kulguru Kripacharya to his sister's house. There, I met mata Kripi and Ashwatthama. Then, we took them into Hastinapur. After coming back, I met my brothers and Guha, who were bullied by Bheem. I asked Vikarna to fetch the royal vaidya.

"The journey was very tiring. I probably overslept." I thought to myself. But, some invisible sense was telling me that something gone horribly wrong. I forced those thoughts out of my mind. I stood up from my bed, and walked outside of the room. I walked out towards the palace gates to go to the Ganga River. But, I hadn't missed the astonished and shocked looks in those palace guard's eyes.

I don't know what is happening to me today.

I don't know why I am walking towards the river alone.

I somehow reached the riverbank, and took a dip in the water. The calm and cool touch of mata Ganga was soothing my body and mind. I went outside of the river, crossed my hands and closed my eyes, preparing myself for chanting the Tandava.

But, what was happening to me? Why I couldn't remember those hymns? I tried and tried, but, couldn't remember a single word. I tried to remember the other Shiva hymns, but failed miserably. Tears were coming out from my eyes now.

"No, no, no, no, no! This can't happen to me! Never! Mahadev cannot leave me like that! What is this? Am I losing my mind?" My mind was creating havoc now. I started running towards the palace. I need to go to the temple, right now.

I ran like a madman, and reached the palace. I went to the Shiva temple and bowed in front of the deity.

"Prabhu, what is happening to me? How can I forget the mantras? ", I whispered. The Tandava and other Shiva Mantras were the only source of solace and peace in my childhood. When I forgot them, it felt like a part of my soul was severed. I again tried to remember those mantras, but failed again.

I was now becoming desperate. I had to do something, anything now. But what could I do? I hadn't felt so helpless in my entire life.

I didn't know what came up in my mind then. I started banging my head in front of the Shiva lingam. I was banging my head like a possessed man, when suddenly I heard a voice behind me.

"You forgot your boon, putra!"

I was startled. I turned my head, and saw a figure standing. But it was not a man. It was a Devta. His body had a heavenly glow. I somehow crossed my head and bowed to him.

"Ayushmaan bhava!" the Devta gave his blessings. His peaceful smile calmed down my turbulent mind a little.

"Mahadev is now doing penance, putra. I went to the Kailas Mountain to visit them. Mata Parvati then instructed me to go to you, and answer your questions."