Chapter 22

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 22

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Bhishma POV

"Hurry up, Adhirath! Hurry up! We don't have much time."

A few moments ago, Yudhisthir came to me with horrible news. Bheem and Duryodhana fought again, and this time things really got out of control. Duryodhana had thrown Bheem into the Ganga, and the boy probably drowned. But, I have faith on my mother. She would not let any harm coming to my grandchild.

I immediately took the boys with me, and got on my chariot. My charioteer, Adhirath, was a good charioteer. He started driving the chariot like the speed of wind, and we reached the bank of Ganga River. I jumped out from the chariot, and entered the water. The Pandavas followed me and they also entered into the water. I crossed my hands, and started praying to my mother. In a moment, my mother, the Goddess Ganga, came out from the water.

"Pranipaat, Mata." I bowed down my head.

"Ayushmaan bhava, putra!" My mother blessed me. Then she looked at the four Pandavas. They are also bowing their heads to her, with their hands crossed.

"Yashaswi Bhava! Don't worry about your brother, little ones. He is all right. He will come back to you after a week." She said with a smile. But, then, suddenly her smile vanished from her face.

I heaved a sigh of relief after hearing my mother's words. But, the sudden expression change in her face worried me again. Then she looked at me.

"Putra, go to the palace right now. Otherwise, something catastrophic will be happening."

Her voice lost all softness in a moment. Her voice was now hard, and determined.

"But Matashri, what will I say to Kunti?" I asked her.

"You will get all your answer in the palace. But right now, you must go there. An innocent's life is at stake now Devvrat. Fly to the palace, my son."

I bowed down to her, and hurriedly went to my chariot. My mother's usually smiling, and loving face was serious today. That meant only one thing. Something terrible was going to happen.

We were coming back towards the palace, when I saw a soldier riding on a horse. The soldier also saw my chariot, and came towards us. He dismounted his horse and bowed down to me.

"Mahamahim Bhishma Ki Jay!! Mahamantri Vidura ordered me to pass an important message to you."

"What is it, soldier?"

"Maharaja Dhritarashtra is organising a sarp-satra today. Mahamantri wished that you quickly come to the palace."

"What?? Dhritarashtra is organising a sarp-satra? Have he lost his mind today?"

"Mahamahim, Rajkumar Duryodhana locked himself inside his room, and start burning everything. He was going to burn himself with his room. Kulguru managed to put out the fire with Varunastra. But then..."

"Okay, messenger, your duty is over now. Go to the palace." I ordered the man.

"Forgive me, Mahamahim, but my duty is not over yet. Mahamantri Vidura has given me another order. He wants me to go to the Sona Village, and fetch charioteer Adhirath's son, Radheya."