Chapter 56

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 56

Kampilya, Southern Panchal, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

"What is the price of this cabbage?" I asked the young shopkeeper in the vegetable store.

The young man behind the store was looking at me with shock. I was probably the first Rajkumar who came to his shop to buy vegetables.

"Two copper coins, Rajkumar." He said in a low voice.

"Hmm...Give me this cabbage, the carrots and some potatoes then." I gave him a gold coin, "You can keep the change."

The man happily accepted the coin and gave me the vegetables. Karna and Mamashri were standing behind me. They were probably thinking that Duryodhana probably lost his mind. Because I came straight to the market from Draupadi Swyamvar and started buying rice, pulses, ghee and vegetables.

I turned my head and saw Dussasan standing with the sack of rice. Vikarna had the pulses and Ashwatthama had the pot of ghee. Yuyutsu was standing beside them and looking at me with a smirk.

"Nephew, are you alright?" Mamashri said in a worried voice.

"Yes Mamashri, I am perfectly alright." I hissed under gritted teeth. To tell the truth, the fire of deepest hell was burning inside my heart. Draupadi's vicious insult towards Karna made my heart burning. Karna was silent, but his hard eyes showed his anger too. But those angry eyes were now worriedly looking at me.

I always had cooking pots, spices, knives and other things in my chariot. My heart was literally burning, but I was adamant to confine it there. The fire of anger mustn't reach into my brain.

We reached at a distance from the market, and saw a beautiful valley inside the jungle. A beautiful river was there beside the valley. The Surya Narayana was slowly walking towards the west.

Vikarna and Yuyutsu quickly made two ovens by using stones. Dussasan and Karna cut some firewood.Mamashri Shakuni was sitting beside us. He took out a small cloth made dice game and pieces and started playing alone. I was busy cutting the vegetables and washing the rice and pulses.

After 30 minutes, the veggies were properly cut, and the rice, pulses and other things were ready. Ashwatthama chanted some mantras and lit the fire in the two ovens. On one oven, there was the Khichdi, and my special cabbage curry was on another.

"Angraaj, my Jyesth here is a great cook also. Just taste his special cabbage curry and you will remember the taste for your whole life." Yuyutsu said to Karna.

I looked at Karna from the corner of my eye. The worried expression in his face was replaced by a calm smile. He was probably thinking that his friend became mad, but now he was smiling. A smiling Radheya Karna was a rare scene.

Ashwatthama was standing beside me, watching the khichdi. Suddenly, he said to me in a low voice.

"Mitra, can I ask you something?"

I nodded affirmatively.

"Mitra, are you not angry that Draupadi insulted Angraaj so viciously?"

I heaved a sigh. I looked at the part of Rudra beside me.

"Yes, I am angry. I was angry beyond limit. For a moment, I thought to take that bow and arrow, and pierce the arrogant tongue. But then I controlled my anger. Do you know why I started cooking? But watch the khichdi first."

Ashwatthama quickly took a big spoon and started moving the khichdi.

"Cooking is a work that needs utmost concentration and focus. That focus helped me to calm my anger a little bit."

I looked at the curry. It really smells divine.

"Dussasan, quick, wash the banana leaves. The food is ready." I shouted at him.

Dussasan went to wash the leaves. Vikarna went with him. I told Ashwatthama to put down the fire of ovens. In the meantime, Karna and Yuyutsu lit some torches. The Surya Narayana was walking slowly towards the west.

Suddenly I heard the sound of chariots. I looked at that direction and saw two chariots running on the road. They also saw us and stopped. On one chariot, Maharaja Shalya was standing. I did not recognise the king on the second chariot.

Shalya jumped from his chariot and walked towards us. His face has lost all the sign of taunting. But then I saw a black eye. I knew the meaning. After Arjun pierced the eye of the fish, the kings fought with them. According to Mahabharata, Bheem uprooted a tree and hit every attacker.

"Madra raj! I think your strength left you today. You couldn't lift a bow!" Mamashri Shakuni gave him his most vicious taunting smirk.

Shalya gave him an angry look. But he didn't say anything. The other king came in front of me and crossed his hands.

"Pranipat, Rajkumar. I am Susharma, king of Trigarta. "

I looked at him. He was probably the bravest warrior in Mahabharata after Abhimanyu. He was the one who led a suicide mission against Arjun in Kurukshetra war. Arjun killed him in the 17th day of the war.

He was a man of medium height, same as Shalya. His body was a little bit thin. He was elder than me, probably the same age of Karna.

"Maharaja Susharma, I did not remember you trying to compete in the swyamvar?" Mamashri Shakuni asked him.

Susharma hung his head in shame.

"I...I was afraid. When I saw Maharathis like Jarasandha, Shishupal, Shalya, Bhoorishravas were failed to lift the bow...."

He stopped mid-sentence. I could feel the pain in his voice. I went to him and placed my right hand on his shoulder.

"Maharaja, I am younger than you. But still, I want to say something. Do you know what is more important than win or lose? It is you giving your effort for trying. The most important thing in life is not to triumph but to compete."

Susharma looked at me. I understood that my words were having a little impact on his mind.

"Leave these matters now. Mamashri Shalya, Maharaja Susharma, will you honour us by having your dinner with us?"

Shalya was looking at me with a curious expression. Then he smiled.

"The food here really smells good. Let's not wait."

Quickly, Dussasan placed the leaves in front of them. I served the food. While eating, suddenly Mamashri Shakuni looked at the west side, and he froze.

We all turned our heads towards that side.

Five Brahmins and one dusky princess were walking there. The Dusky beauty was smiling. One of the Brahmin, who was tall and lanky and dark skinned, whose eyes were like the scope of a sniper rifle, was holding her hand. The wedding garland was on his neck.

"He is the one who pierced the eye. Then Jarasandha and Shishupal, along with all of us attacked them....but how ?", Shalya asked in an astonished voice.

I turned my head and focused on my food.

"If that Brahmin was Arjun in disguise, then it is entirely possible.", I started chewing the curry. Really, it tasted great.

So, this is chapter 56.

"The most important thing in life is not to triumph but to compete." - Baron Pierre de Coubertin.

Please, read, vote and comment.