Chapter 31

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 31

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

The chariots were taking us to the palace of Hastinapur. I was looking at the two sides of the road. There were some changes I could see in the city. I saw some new shops and houses too.

"Time is the most powerful thing in this world." I thought to myself. Then I turned my head and saw Ashwatthama, who was riding on his horse beside my chariot. I told him and Dronacharya to ride on a chariot, but both of them refused by citing some ethics and etiquette. Dronacharya was riding on a horse beside Arjun's chariot. Arjun probably told him a joke, and he started laughing.

I looked at Ashwatthama again, and saw his face and eyes getting hard. I groaned in my mind. He was having 'daddy issues' again. I thought that these problems were the fruits of Kali Yuga, but I was wrong.

"Jealousy is like a slow poison Mitra. It will harm you slowly but severely." I told him in a hushed voice.

Ashwatthama was startled. He gave me a stern look. I also gave him the same look. Both of us looked at each other's eyes for a few moments. Then we started laughing, whole heartedly.

"Are you really a Kshatriya, Mitra?" He asked me, still laughing, "Because you have the qualities of a Brahmin too."

"I am a human first, Mitra. This is my humanity that prompts me to tell you those things. There is another reason too. I am telling you this, because, if the time comes, you can also tell me that."

Ashwatthama's face literally became an 'O'. He was looking at me with a shocked expression again. I heaved a sigh. Sometimes, he could be so over dramatic.

"Close your mouth, Guruputra; else you could catch a fly in it."

He promptly closed his mouth. Then we both started laughing again. A few moments later, we saw the large palace of Hastinapur in front of us. There were a large number of crowds gathered on the both sides of the road. They were showering flower petals on us, and the chanting of 'Kuru Rajkumar Ki Jay' was booming in the air. I smiled at them and waved my hand at them. Bloody hell, I only saw something like this in the television, where a political leader or a film star did this type of thing. When the crowd saw me smiling and waving hand at them, they got more excited and showered a lot of flower petals on me. I was covered from head to toes from flower petals. I saw the love and respect in their eyes, now it was my duty to take care of them.

The chariots entered the palace, and I saw all the family members were standing there. Mata Gandhari and Kakishri Kunti were standing in the frontline. Both of them had large golden platters on their hands containing sacred flowers, sandal and other things for worship. Beside them, I saw Maharaja Dhritarashtra, Pitamah Bhishma and Kakashri Vidura were standing. I turned my head to the other side and saw Kripacharya standing there. Beside him, Mamashri Shakuni was standing, with a smile in his face.

I went to Mata Gandhari and touched her feet. She smiled at me. Her smile, pure and radiant as the Surya Narayana himself, calmed my mind. She applied a 'tilak' on my forehead.

"Ayushman Bhava putra! Yashaswi Bhava! She blessed me whole heartedly. I turned my eyes, and saw the Pandavas stood in front of Kakishri Kunti. They all touched her feet together. Kakishri Kunti applied 'tilak' on their forehead.

I went to Maharaja Dhritarashtra, who engulfed me into a bone-crushing hug. His blind eyes were full of tears. He did not say anything; his facial expression was enough for me to know what was in his mind. I touched his feet.

"Ayshmaan Bhava putra! You don't know that I was waiting for the last twelve years for this day only. Today, you all come back. Now my mind is filled with joy."

I knew that. Dhritarashtra was famous or infamous for his filial love. But it was Duryodhana who abused this. I didn't want to do that. But I want the throne of Hastinapur at any cost.

Saam, Daam, Dand, Bhed!!

I turned my head to Pitamah Bhishma, and saw him giving his blessings to Arjun. I heaved a sigh. Suddenly, my vision blurred. Then I saw Pitamah again. This time, he was lying on the bed of arrows. Blood was dripping from his wounds. Arjun was standing in front of him, with his bow in his hand.

Suddenly, I felt that someone was shaking my shoulders. My vision got normal, and I saw Pitamah in front of me. It was his iron-hard hands which shook my shoulders.

"Duryodhana! Are you all right, putra?"Genuine concern was dripping from his voice. My mind was becoming clear just like the sky getting clear of clouds.

I touched his feet.

"Yes, Pitamah, I am fine. I am a little tired.", I somehow mumbled it.

"Then go and take rest, putra. I think it would be better for you.", Bhishma said to me in a low voice. But I didn't fail to watch the suspicion in his eyes.

"Bloody Hell! I am again watching visions! That means that evil force inside me again trying to mess with me! Ok then...I know what to do."

I looked at Pitamah again. He was standing in front of me. His eyes were inspecting me. I looked at him too.

Here , in front of me, the guardian warrior of the Kuru dynasty was standing. He was like a great banyan tree with the deepest root. That tree was brutally pierced by hundreds of arrows. That tree was brutally uprooted.

That tree was brutally uprooted by treachery!!

Arjun, the greatest (?) archer of earth used treachery. He shot his arrows on a warrior who put down his weapons. He was hiding behind a woman or a man that time.

"Pardon me Mahadev! Pardon me for what I am going to do! I am going to defy your boon! But I cannot see my Pitamah falling down with such treachery! I don't know if I can do it or not, but this human can only try. This human will try with all his might! Bless me, hey Kailashnath, bless me!"

In the war with Drupad, I had two targets to eliminate. But my prime target would be that woman, who took her birth to kill my Pitamah.

Shikhandini!!

I could not kill Drupad.

But I would kill Shikhandini at any cost!!!

Then I heard for the second time in a day, the loud sound of a thunder in the clear sky!

So, this is chapter 31. Please read, vote and comment.

This chapter is a little small. But don't worry, the next chapter would be bigger.