Chapter 34

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 34

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Yudhisthir POV

I was standing on a corridor, watching the stars in the night sky. The moon was shining on my head. Chandra Devta was literally giving his blessing to the whole city. The night sky actually gave peace to my turbulent mind. Being the eldest brother, I had a lot of duties to perform. But, now, being the eldest Kuru Prince, my duties would increase.

I heaved a sigh. The royal crown and the throne were the things which created barriers between brothers. Bhrata Duryodhana also wanted the throne. I knew that uncle Dhritarashtra wanted the throne for his son. But Pitamah, Kakashri and the other elders thought me as the most eligible, because I am the eldest in my generation. Dharma said that the eldest had the right on the throne if he was not incapable.

I heaved a sigh. I actually missed the calm and peaceful life of the forest, and of the gurukul. In the palace, under the charade of peace, there were a lot of things. I could feel in my heart that a net of conspiracies were coming towards us. But, nothing could harm us because nothing could break our unity. My mother's blessings would also guard us from all evils.

But now, I had to think about something else.

My mother got unconscious in the meantime of the competition. We were so engulfed in the fight between Arjun and Angraaj that we hadn't noticed mother. The fighting between them was going to a bitter end. Both of them were countering each other's weapons. I had to admit, Angraaj Karna is a skilled archer, a perfect match for Arjun.

But then I saw Arjun was invoking the 'Bramhashtra'. Angraaj also saw that, and he also invoked a deadly celestial weapon, which Dronacharya later told me was the 'Bhargavastra'. If those two celestial weapons struck each other, then a huge devastation would occur. Thankfully, the sun had set down at that very moment. Kulguru stopped the competition then. But I saw Arjun, who was actually a little bit upset. I heaved a sigh. Now my brother has an opponent, who was clearly a match for him. But Angraaj pledged his loyalty to Duryodhana that means clearly increasing his strength.

After the competition, we had learnt that mother was unconscious. We rushed towards her room, and saw her lying on his bed. The vaidya told us that she needed a lot of rest now. So, we hadn't disturbed her.

"Jyesth?" I heard Bheem's voice behind me. I turned my head and saw him. He had a large platter full of Laddoos in his hand. He took two Laddoos in his hand and shoved them into his mouth.

"Here, Jyesth, have a Laddoo." He picked up a small laddoo from the platter and offered it to me. I smiled and took that. My second brother was famous for his strength and his appetite.

"What are you doing here, alone?" He asked me while shoving three laddoos at a moment in his mouth.

"I was thinking about today. The day was actually hectic."

Bheem stopped chewing. I saw a look of concern in his face.

"How are your hands, Jyesth? Duryodhana bruised them badly, I saw."

I looked my hands. The bruises were still there.

"My hands are still bruised. There is still a lot of pain in them."