Cancer's POV

As my family pulled up to the airport I felt my hands shake. I wasn't good at starting over, I had already had to be the new girl once in 8th grade, I wasn't looking forward to starting my life over again in freshman year.

    Everyone thinks I'm shy, but the truth is once you get to know me I never shut up. I just wasn't the best at making friends and that's why I was nervous. As we pulled up to the airport I undid my seat belt and climbed out of the car. The airport was huge, I had never rode by myself on a plane before, so I was a little worried that I would get lost.

    "Cancer please come help unload your bags." My dad called to me.

    I winced at my name, I have no idea why my parents decided to name me Cancer. "Ok coming dad". I replied to him.

    I helped get my stuff out of the trunk of our car and then it was time for my most feared moment. "Alright Cance it's time to say goodbye." My mother said softly.

    I put on a brave face and hugged them both tightly. "I'm going to miss you guys so much." I told them.

    "We will to, remember to be brave and be yourself." My mother said squeezing me.

    I blinked quickly, I couldn't cry here in front of everybody, I smiled and nodded. "We love you sweetie and will always be proud of you, don't stay up to late, remember to brush your teeth and NO drinking." My dad said sternly.

    I nodded one more and grabbed my bags and waved goodbye one last time. Then I turned and walked into the airport.

    My flight didn't leave for another hour so I found a spot to put my stuff and wandered around. I wasn't clingy to my parents like some kids were, but they were a important part of my life and I missed them so much it hurt.

    At this point I knew the tears were coming. I ran and found an empty bathroom and let a few tears slip out. I have no idea how long I was in there but if felt like only a few seconds. I stood up and washed my face.

    I looked at my self in the mirror, studying my blue eyes carefully, I decided I looked normal enough and walked out of the bathroom.

    However I wasn't looking where I was going and accidentally ran into a hard chest. "Oof, I'm so sorry here let me help you." I said frantically helping the guy up, he was handsome with black hair and blue eyes. He was wearing black sweatpants and a blue sweatshirt, he was also carrying a bunch of bags, he looked around my age.

    "No its okay I wasn't watching where I was going." He said standing up, he was a full foot taller than me.

    I cleared my throat and crossed my arms awkwardly, "So- where are you going?"

    "Sweden, what about you?" He asked back.

    "Oh that's funny that's where I'm headed too." I told him.

    "You going to Elmwood Boarding High?" He asked me, I nodded.

    "Cool maybe we're in the same year. Scorpio." He said raising his hand for me to shake.

    "Cancer, but please call me Cance." I said shaking his hand.

    "Nice to meet you. So what are you gifted at?" He asked me sitting down on one of the benches. I followed his suit.

    "Honestly I really don't know." I told him feeling embarrassed, I had good grades but that was about as gifted as I got.

    "Me too I'm not the best at school, sports, or anything else so I don't know how I got excepted at this school." He said looking blue.

    I placed a hand on his shoulder, "Well they wouldn't have invited you if you weren't good at something." I told him.

    He looked thankful to hear those words. "Thanks Cance your right." Strangely I felt relived to hear those words as well.

    Just then over the airport intercom a chill woman's voice said, "Flight 364 to Sweden is now boarding." I shot up, I hadn't looked at the time in a while!

    "Oh no we should probably get going." I said to Scorpio. He nodded and grabbed his bags and I got mine.

    We quickly ran to our flight deck and handed the attendant our tickets to scan. Unfortunately me and Scorpio were on opposite sides of the plane.

    "Well I'll see you at school I guess." He said waving goodbye to me. I smiled and waved in response, going to find my seat feeling better now that I at least had one friend to help me through.

♋︎

Leave a review to voice your opinion! Hope you're having a great summer!

QOTC: Mountains or Beach?

-V