Break My Soul in Two

Taylor watched as a raindrop fell from the porch roof, splashing down on the concrete pathway that led to the empty sidewalk. Worry echoed in her mind as she glanced at the clock, which was taunting her with its hushed ticking. She checked her phone for the thousandth time, but she was yet to receive a reply from Joe. It's already half past midnight. He should be back by now.

He had left at six to have dinner with a friend, but still hadn't returned. But just moments later she heard a small click from the front door, and watched as it creaked open. A tall blonde man appeared in the doorway, shaking the rain off of his long plaid jacket. A smile overcame Taylor's face and she moved towards him, "Hey, how was it?"

"Good, good," Joe took off his jacket, so he could hug Taylor without soaking her clothes. "How was home?"

She nestled her face into his blue sweater, the soft scent of peach filling her nose. Why does he smell like peaches? "It was good."

He gave her a small smile, before making his way towards the bedroom. As he began to brush his teeth, Taylor sat on the bed. "So what took you so long to get back?"

"Hm?" Joe questioned, the buzz of the toothbrush muffling his voice.

"It's almost one am," Taylor said, standing up to grab a shirt of Joe's to wear. "What were you and Ellie up to?"

She noticed his hesitation before he answered, "Nothing much, just dinner."

"What about after dinner?" Taylor couldn't help but pry.

"Just... a few drinks and working on some stuff," Joe said dismissively, before clicking off his toothbrush and walking back out to the bedroom. Taylor was on the bed, adorned in Joe's shirt. He took her into his arms as he laid down, booping her on the nose, "Someones a bit nosey tonight."

"Sorry I just want to know what my boyfriend is up to," Taylor mumbled, a hint of genuine annoyance in her voice.

Joe sensed it, and softened the jokes. "I know, I was just messing with you." He saw a troublesome look on her face. "Are you okay? Did I do something?"

"I'm okay," Taylor said curtly, before adding a smile. Joe wasn't convinced, but let it go. He clicked the lamp, turning it off and engulfing them in darkness.

The next morning Taylor woke to find Joe in the kitchen, typing on his laptop. She sat down on the leather barstool, not missing the fact that Joe quickly changed his computer tab. "You're up early this morning," Taylor looked towards the clock, which read '7:00 AM'. "What are you up to?"

"Just emails," Joe said casually, closing his computer. "Want some breakfast?"

"I think I'll just stick with the coffee this morning," Taylor already began to get out the grounds.

Joe nodded in acknowledgement, "I'm going to go for a run, just around the city a bit."

"I'll come with you, let me just finish my coffee first," Taylor put her mug under the coffee maker, letting it fill up with the light-brown liquid.

Joe paused, tapping his fingers lightly against the marble countertop. "Actually I was just going to go alone if that's okay, for a bit of peace and quiet."

She gave him a questioning look, usually he was eager to have her go with him. Runs had become their Saturday tradition. "Oh, okay," Taylor took a long sip of coffee from her mug. "Yeah that's fine."

He stood up, walking around the island to give her a kiss on the cheek, "I'll be back in about half an hour, love you."

"Love you too," Taylor mumbled.