Part I - Born of the Water Moon: 1. Raised out of the River

Yang Wan Yu poked her pointed stick into the soft mud of the riverbank and then expertly shifted some of the brush away. The moon was so full tonight that it was perfect for picking this particular herb.

They would have to hurry. It was an unusually clear night, but as it was early in the year the weather could still turn to snow at any moment. Beside her, the river flowed in the darkness, swollen with water even though the spring melt had yet to occur. Although the lingering cold seeped into her bones, Xiao Yu ignored it as she could see her prize in the stubborn white flower that had chosen to bloom in the moonlight despite the chill.

"Da! Moon grass! I found it!" she grinned, waving a cold hand at her father who was a little further away. Yang Ming Xi grunted in acknowledgement and moved unhurriedly to stand next to her.

"I see it, daughter," he nodded, approvingly.

Sticking her tongue out in concentration, she focused on the object of her desire and reached into her sash for her herb knife. With utmost care, she began to dig around it.

"A'Yu! The roots! Be careful of the roots!" her father cautioned. Chuckling, he stepped back to give her more room.

"Daaa!" she grumbled, rolling her eyes, but she smiled at him over her shoulder, her eyes twinkling. Smiling back, he tugged on his beard and continued to observe her practiced movements with a critical eye.

Freeing the precious herb from the heavy soil of the riverbank, she cautiously lifted it out, and then triumphantly placed it into her basket.

"Good!" he praised, patting her on the shoulder. "Let's go now. It's still too early in the year for the rest, but this is a good one," he said.

Feeling a change in air pressure, Xiao Yu stood up and shifted her basket. Mouth dropping open, she looked over her father's head.

"Wh-What is that?" asked Xiao Yu in surprise, staring. Her father turned and his expression instantly changed.

"A waterspout!" he cried, shoving her up the bank. "A'Yu, go! Go!" he cried, pushing her hastily.

They ran as quickly as they could, ran for their lives...but as swiftly as it had formed, the waterspout dissipated, filling the air with a mysterious misty spray. The river continued to flow by, and the moonlight glittered beautifully on its rippling surface as if nothing substantial had happened.

Yang Ming Xi's face creased with anxiety, feeling the remnants of the spray on his face. His heart was still thumping in his chest.

Waterspouts did not normally form over rivers and there had not been enough of a wind for it to have occurred. It was the only waterspout he had ever seen in his life. Even though he had heard that they could form over bodies of water, he wasn't sure why one had happened just now. It was very strange and filled him with great unease. Shaking his head, he hurried A'Yu back to their home, wondering what it meant.

Later that evening, while he was standing outside smoking his pipe, a streak went across the sky. He froze at the sight of the comet.