Part III - Beloved of the Seventh Prince: 51. Objections

The abbot groaned.

"What can she bring you? She's lowborn. She's hopelessly weak. She is blocked from cultivating... so regardless of what she learns and how proficient she becomes with that sword, she'll always be at the mercy of those who would see her dead and that's not a small number...if it's a hopeless case, why do you want to attach yourself to her?" his master sighed.

The Seventh Prince knelt in front of the old man with a bowed head. Although he had not come for permission, he regarded his old master as a foster parent and as such he felt obligated to let him know that he was planning to bring Cui Xi into his manor. However, he hadn't expected to be lectured about his choice.

He took a breath, trying not to lose his temper.

"Master, it's her weakness that is her strength. Have you ever seen anyone strive so hard to protect the people around them? And with what? Her wits, her non-existent martial art skills...her face painting skills? And though she faces such insurmountable odds, she would still throw her last breath away to defend what is hers.

"The indomitable spirit that drives her is her strength. You might say that it is futile to struggle so much, and yet she doesn't accept defeat. She doesn't accept that there is nothing that can be done. It's why I love her. Can you imagine what kind of hardship she has faced to have lived so long through sheer stubbornness?

"I cherish her foolish bravery, her ability to pull people to her side, her willingness to sacrifice for others that elicits a crazy loyalty and an urge to protect her unto death. And she is more fearful than anyone and yet she faces it by molding it into a force to be reckoned with. If she feels weak, then I will become her strength. If she falters, I will be the pillar that holds her up. Whatever decisions she makes, good or bad, I will do my best to help her see it through. When she makes mistakes, then I will save her. And I will do it until she is willing to trust me, to need me, to rely on me, until she does so without thinking."

"But if she cannot survive on her own, if she cannot share your worries, then she is only your burden," sighed the abbot.

"She's not a burden to me, and in these things, I will protect her. I only hope that she thinks of me and that she wants me to stay by her side. That I can accompany her in this life and be confident that she did not worry for a moment, that she can be carefree...I would be satisfied."

"Even if she becomes the mistress of Hidden Night City? Certainly, in that position she will never be free of worry or the claims of that duty. From what I can see, that fool, Zhao Ling Ye means to hand it over to her. I don't agree!"

The Seventh Prince closed his eyes.

"Even if that is the case, I will be hers to use as she sees fit. Even if she were to ask me to die for her, I'd do it."

"I never thought you would turn into someone's dog, and a lovesick dog at that," the old man huffed.

"Have I not been the kingdom's dog all this time?" Zhao Ling Xian asked with a smile full of irony.

"This and that are not the same..." was the irritable response.