Part II - Cosmetics Goddess: 33. Visit to the Harem

Cui Xi wished that the Empress Dowager couldn't see her face.

She had been wearing her mask less and less and as a result she had forgotten to wear one for this audience in the palace. She was beginning to think that this was a huge mistake as the Empress Dowager's old eyes missed nothing.

Ming Yen giggled into her hands.

"Ah! So that's how it is!" the Empress Dowager nearly cackled with glee.

Somehow, the Empress Dowager had found out about the little trick that Cui Xi had played on Chen Xiang and Cang Ru Shan and had insisted on hearing the entire story.

"But how did you know they would make a good match?" asked Ming Yen, curiously.

"I didn't, but if you are going to create circumstances whereby a couple fall in love, is it not the best if the man plays the hero?" Cui Xi asked mischievously.

"Hah!" Ming Yen smiled. A'Xian...you need to hurry up and marry this brat!

"Empress Dowager, is she not all that I promised?" Ming Yen asked brightly, turning to her husband's grandmother.

"Xiao Xi, though you are not of high birth, you are pleasant and speak well. The gifts that you bring are well made and thoughtful. Aijia*, is pleased with you. Will you enter the palace as my companion?"

KYAAH!

Cui Xi stood, immediately knelt, and put her forehead on the floor. If she didn't deal with this double-edged sword properly, it could spell a disaster for her. She addressed the Empress Dowager formally:

"The Empress Dowager's praise and kindness is more than Xiao Xi deserves. Xiao Xi is overwhelmed by your favour. However, I am currently indentured...As a lowborn orphan without family, this little girl is not worthy to enter the palace as your companion. The gifts that I bring are poor, but my intentions are pure. If it pleases the Empress Dowager, then Xiao Xi will visit and accompany the Empress Dowager as often as my business and contractual obligations allow."

"What's this, Xiao Xi?" The Empress Dowager laughed. "So earnest! Ming Yen, isn't she cute? Don't be afraid to speak your mind...if you don't wish to enter the palace, I will not blame you. You must have your reasons...stand up, stand up," the Empress Dowager waved her beringed hand genially.

"Come sit with me!"

Cui Xi obeyed and carefully retook her seat. Phew! Had she avoided catastrophe?

Ming Yen coughed and her eyes lit craftily.

"Empress Dowager...are you doting on someone other than me?" she asked, sighing dramatically.

"Oh, quit your complaining, Yen'er. So noisy!" the Empress Dowager chuckled. "Young people!"