2. Extra - Coffee Chat with XiXi:

This 'chat' happened because I was pretty concerned about the character developed of the MC, but after some cajoling, she was able to get me back on track...

***

Writer [thoughtful]: So, I've been thinking really hard about your scenes. I'm really concerned that in many of the major incident sequences you end up comatose. I'm concerned that this gives the reader a sense of a lack of agency...That things happen to you, rather than you being the main actor in your own story...What do you think?

XiXi [encouraging]: I can see that you're troubled about this. I think in terms of character development in the beginning this may not be a bad thing. Having events enacted on me instead of myself being the main agent...I think that's ok initially because I'm not very strong when I first get to Tiansheng. I'm sick- having been spat out by the river. I don't have martial arts despite the immense potential of the new body that I am given. My interpersonal skills aren't the greatest. I'm starting again with my emotions...

Writer [brightening]: That's right...and through your experiences you slowly learn to seize your own destiny and become the active element in your own story. That's what I want to convey...but at this point, we've got your initial entry into Tiansheng, the chapter with the arrow attack on A'Xian, the chapter where you are revealed as a true Princess of Xiyu, and the Candle/Gentleness episodes when you are passed out.

Xixi [embarrassed]: Yeah, I can see how that kinda sucks.

Writer [irritated]: well I didn't write them sequentially, so that's why there seems to be a lot of time where you're not conscious. I am thinking of rejigging the Xiyu Princess chapter as well as Red Candle/Gentleness to make you more active.

XiXi [shrugging]: It's also part of your writing style...you, yourself, you're that kind of a timid person, so you are acting out your feelings on me, through me, to some extent. Stuff happens to you. Having said that, it's how things are resolved that allows the character to show strength, to learn, to develop. It may not be a bad thing that I have these moments.

Writer: True, but it only happens to you...everyone else stays awake...

Xixi [smiles]: Well then. Wake me up. Keep me awake.

Writer [groan]: if it were that simple...I'm almost at 350 pages of text and you [as a character] are still in pieces...

A'Xian [tapping down with a sword and swirling blossoms]: ACTION! Write Action. Please?? Please??

Writer [smacking face]: URK! You selfish ass! You get LOTS of action.

A'Xian [smirking]: See! Boss likes me better. At heart, she's just a sucker for good looking men.

Writer [rumbling thunder]: A'Xian...I'm going to BEAT. YOU. TO. DEATH.

XiXi: Hey...you'd better listen to boss and go away. She's having a hard time.

A'Xian [hurt]: But that's why I came to visit! I'm cheering you on, Boss.

Writer [headache]: Put those ears and tail away. NOW. OMG...I can't stand it. The sparkles and blossoms are killing me. This is not a manhua! Not a manhuaaaaa!

XiXi [threatening]: Do you want Boss to turn this into a bro-con BL? She can make you make out with Master, you know..."

A'Xian [shocked]: Whoa, Whoa...hang on...let's not be so hasty...!

XiXi [irritated]: Can you get lost then?? We're having a girl talk. Boss, why did you make me love this idiot?

Writer [sighing]: So much drama...so much drama...OH God. Ok, I have to go back to work. Thanks for the talk. A'Xian stay out of trouble. Xixi, keep being a beautiful person, ok? I like your character, just trying to make you better.

XiXi [makes thumb heart and smiles]: Got it!

A'Xian [wagging tail]: XiXi...can we go play now?

XiXi [long sigh]: Yup, let's go.

Writer [heartfelt sniffing]: Ahh...so hard to let you children grow up...