Part V - Mistress of Hidden Night City: 98. The Fisherman*

As Ma Jun Qi rode into the valley, he eyed up the steep sides, feeling the pressure of many eyes.

"Commander..." his young aide whispered nervously, looking like he was about to lose the contents of his bowels. "This is a really bad idea. What if Zhao Ling Xian just decides to shoot us dead?"

"He won't," Ma Jun Qi said calmly, but his eyes continued scanning, staying alert. "He'll want to hear what I have to say first..."

As they moved deeper into the valley, he finally saw two men sitting on their horses, waiting for them in an area with relatively even ground. From the easy and arrogant posture and the extremely handsome features which were only marred by the thinnest scar, Ma Jun Qi immediately recognized the Seventh Prince of Tiansheng, Zhao Ling Xian.

"Ma Jun Qi, Commander of the Xiyu Red Battalion gives greetings to his Highness the Seventh Prince Zhao Ling Xian," he said quite formally after he had dismounted from his horse. He also bowed over cupped hands.

"Ma Jun Qi...you're originally from the western border regions of Tiansheng?" Zhao Ling Xian asked, eyes narrowed as he evaluated him. "I did not think that Ashina Atil would include someone of your background as a commander in his army."

"My father is a tribal chieftain, and my mother was a woman from Tiansheng's border region. I only give this name for the sake of convenience...but your Highness, with respect, I do not see her Highness Princess Yesil? Is she well?"

Ma Jun Qi noticed that while the prince's expression did not change, the coal black eyes darkened, and the air seemed to fill with a menacing amount of pressure at the mere mention of the princess.

Heh, so, it's true... Ma Jun Qi thought with an inward smile. He values the princess quite highly.

"You're very direct," noted Zhao Ling Xian in an even tone. "She is well, but none of your concern."

"I see. Well, I'm not one to waste my breath with useless words, your Highness..." Ma Jun Qi smiled, tugging lightly at his moustache.

"That's good. Then shall we...?"

Ma Jun Qi paused for a moment, trying to supress his surprise. He had thought Zhao Ling Xian would demand the information at the outset.

"You're not going to ask why I requested to see her Highness?" he asked.

"You can't talk and fight at the same time?" the Seventh Prince laughed.

Even Murong Yan's lips tipped up slightly at the derision in the Seventh Prince's tone.

How dare he look down on the commander...! Ma Jun Qi's young aide bristled, reaching for his sword, but the older man held up his hand. Now was not the time to be provoked by such things and he cut the young man a quelling glance. He had already noticed that the man that Tiansheng's Seventh Prince had brought with him was not an ordinary aide, but a powerful man with an enormous black bow slung over one shoulder.