Part IV - The Western Emerald: 62. Sour

"Well?" Zhao Ling Ye asked, hands clasped behind his back. He coughed and delicately patted his lips with an embroidered square of silk pulled from his sash.

"The message was delivered, your Highness," the guard said.

"Very well, you may take leave."

"Yes," the guard nodded, and backed out the door.

The Eldest Prince gave a long, drawn out sigh and turned to stare outside. The silver-grey hair, falling loose over his shoulders, was stirred very gently by the breeze, making the red pearl earring sway slightly. Unclasping his hands, he unconsciously reached for the white jade flute tucked in his sash and twisted it.

Tao frowned, looking concerned.

"Master, are you going to stay here forever? You've led them this far, why not just join hands with your Seventh brother and clean it all up. If you keep going this way..."

"I don't plan on returning. My younger brothers already know what to do. As for my little disciple...If she loves A'Xian then I shouldn't interfere. She must make her own decision whether it's him or me."

"What about the kingdom...?" asked Tao.

"That doesn't concern me. Why can't I just leave it to the others? I've already done enough. I deserve to fly high and run far away. I'm tired," he gritted, showing real frustration for once.

Tao's heart thudded as he watched his master standing lonely and heartbreakingly beautiful in front of the window.

How long will I be able to share Master's burdens before...?

The Eldest Prince turned to him and shrugged elegantly.

"Laosan is at his limit and making a move. I can only hope that A'Wu will hold them off in the south. He may have been stationed there all his life, but he isn't as experienced as A'Xian."

Tao grunted as his master continued to think out loud.

"How do you see it, Tao? It's almost certain that the lines will form up like this: Xiyu will move from the west, taking on the Anxi army. A'Wu will be caught in the south with Laosan's uncle's army while Laosan takes the capital. Even without the tally, if he is able to obtain the command token for the imperial guard that should be enough to take the capital. All their people are already place in the city guard. No matter how many I secretly remove...If A'Xian isn't able to rush back, then he'll be pinned on both sides if A'Wu doesn't make it out of the south."

"What about the north?" asked Tao, though he knew the answer.

"Heh..." his master snorted. "The north won't move for Father Emperor. He has always been too harsh in restraining them. If it comes to a fight, those two old geezers will sit on the sidelines waiting to see who takes the capital. Plus, the Changping Shizi is too busy spoiling his lover, and the Murong General's Shizi refuses to properly take his position. What's left?"