Part IV - The Western Emerald: 73. Poison

The Seventh Prince simply picked Cui Xi up in a princess carry, ignoring the empress's outraged exclamation. His brothers and father looked pointedly at other things as they exited.

"Come now," he said softly to her.

"Why are we all going? Does your father really favour the Noble Consort?" Cui Xi whispered curiously to Zhao Ling Xian as they all filed after the emperor. Her husband hid his "pffft" sound behind a cough, but he could not prevent the corner of his lips from tipping up slightly.

His expression was complicated.

"Not particularly...although it is certain that he dotes on her. Noble Consort Guang is all of eighteen years old, same as you. She is the empress's creature...but it's clear she defied her by getting pregnant. Normally, the empress would be feeding her anti-conception medicine to prevent this, but the girl has somehow managed...it's been a long time since Father Emperor had a new son...I think occasionally, the idea still excites him..."

Cui Xi lowered her eyes, trying not to hear the heavy irony in his voice. She felt a pain in her heart.

"A'Xian...would you...would you be excited if I had your child?" she asked in a very small voice.

Apparently, she hadn't said it as quietly as she thought because Ming Yen and the Fifth Prince who were in front of them both turned their heads back at the same time as A'Xian stuttered to a halt.

Ming Yen giggled, then jerked her own husband forward giving them some semblance of privacy.

"Xi'er...?" Zhao Ling Xian breathed out, searching her face questioningly. It looked like his whole being was suddenly aglow.

She shook her head, blushing to the roots of her hair.

"No...no, no, I'm not pregnant...I-I was just curious..." she stammered. What the hell am I doing?

Ignoring everyone, he bent his head down to kiss her very tenderly on the top of her head.

"Xi'er, I will protect you and any child of ours with my life. Don't be afraid. While I'm here, anyone who dares to hurt you will be punished," he promised with his eyes suddenly very fierce.

Dazed, she blushed even redder.

Faced with such a look, it was taking everything for Zhao Ling Xian not to gather the cute little idiot in his arms more tightly, and stomp out of the palace, so that he could take her home and make love to her until she couldn't breathe. She could truly try the patience of the gods...and the idea of her pregnant with his child made him crazy.

Seeing the heat in his expression, she covered her eyes and poked him to hide her embarrassment. They did not speak any further until they had reached the palace of Noble Consort Guang.

A little further ahead of them, Ming Yen sighed to the Fifth Prince.