Part V - 101. Reaching for Flowers, the Moon Sighs

How long has it been since I came here?

The Eldest Prince, Zhao Ling Ye, carefully checked his surroundings as he walked forward, carrying a sword with a white and silver hilt.

With the palace now being attacked on the west side, there was no one guarding the East Palace as they had all gone to fight at the order of the Crown Prince. Thus, Zhao Ling Ye had slipped in without being challenged.

The sword in his grip clinked lightly in its beautifully decorated silver scabbard as he walked down the covered walk, only vaguely noting the steady clash of weapons and screams in the distance.

Stepping out from behind a carved column, the Crown Prince, Zhao Ling Feng walked forward to meet him.

"I knew you would come. I've been waiting for you," said Zhao Ling Feng. "It's a shame...of all of us brothers, you and I are the most similar..."

"We may look similar, but you and I are nothing alike," Zhao Ling Ye answered, tightening his grip on the sword.

"Heh...You've not carried the Moon Shadow sword for some time, Elder Brother. Can you still say that you're its master?" the Crown Prince taunted, smiling.

He drew out his own red tasseled sword and tossed the scabbard aside. Expressions set, both brothers walked carefully sideways into the barren garden, slowly bring their swords into readiness.

"I too want to see if the Moon Shadow sword still recognizes its master..." Zhao Ling Ye agreed calmly.

His light blue robes were stirred by a non-existent wind and his silver hair blew away from his face revealing a coldly serene expression. The dusting of snow on the ground also swirled lightly, disturbed by the gathering of their internal force.

Covering his surprise, Zhao Ling Feng snorted at Zhao Ling Ye's words.

"I knew it would be troublesome when Yang Ming Xi returned to the capital...And not long after that, Mother Empress told me that someone had broken into the underground Gu pond. Was he able to cure you? Your body has been deeply poisoned for so long...even if you were a once a martial arts genius, it's not possible that your power has recovered to even thirty percent of what it was..." the Crown Prince narrowed his eyes speculatively.

"It's true...I didn't recover to thirty percent..." Zhao Ling Ye agreed, almost amiably.

Actually, it's closer to forty percent, but even thirty percent would have been enough to beat you, little brother...

Although neither of them had appeared to move, they had each shifted their stances, carefully measuring each other from the slightest of movements. It would be foolish, at this stage, for either of them to let their guard down.

Despite Zhao Ling Feng's scholarly reputation, he had always trained in secret, concealing his strength from the prying eyes of those who wanted to exploit any weaknesses, but that also meant that he was inexperienced in individual combat. On the other hand, Zhao Ling Ye had been garbage for years and the last few months of practice had been forced, but since he was hellbent on this road, the strength of his will alone could not be disregarded in such a battle.