1. Extra - Xiao Hei's Grand Entrance:

This is the conversation I had with Xiao Hei and XiXi while I was writing Chapter 12 – 'Boy in Black'. Although he can be an obedient dog, in truth, he's quite a stubborn young man...

***

Writer: Xiao Hei, my dear, I've got writer's block...a real block about how you're supposed to enter into the novel. I know that I have to write the scene, but it's just not happening, So I thought I'd just have a chat with you to see what's going on. Do you not like my version of how you enter into the novel?"

Xiao Hei (shrugging coolly): It's pretty violent, Boss.

Writer (apologetic): I know, I know, but it's dramatic, you know! You're an important character and I want your entrance to be special. You're heavily injured, you're crawling towards death! And lo, you are rescued by a beauty! SHAAA! [blossoms and sparkles appear]

Xiao Hei: Hmmph! That just sounds like XiXi gets to look cool.

XiXi (tossing hair): HEY! Didi, I ALWAYS look cool. This is after all my story.

Xiao Hei: Yeah, but you're stealing my scene. It's an important scene.

Writer: Ah. Ok. Should it be a gentler opening for you? What should I do differently? It's very frustrating you know, your resistance to being written a certain way.

Xiao Hei: Story of my life! Everyone wants me to be the Murong heir and I'm not more than a teenager. Maybe me and XiXi just meet at a roadside stand for tea and I decide to follow her. I can be wounded, but maybe life and death is too much? Why can't we be two people who decide to travel together because I'm am aimless brat and have yet to know what to do with my life and one path is as good as the other?

Writer: Hmmm. Good Point. Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot. Cui Xi's story also...has begun to sound like a series of accidents instead of events that move the plot. Am I doing this for the bang factor or does it truly advance the plot? I'm at a loss.

XiXi: Sounds like you are having problems with your flow. Flow more. Be one with the flow.

Writer: Urk! Don't try to Ommm me into writing. I have my difficulties...like my real job, and caring for my kids in the middle of Co-vid. Try that on. Argh.

XiXi: Ya, ya, ya.

Writer [to Xiao Hei]: Your Jie Jie really has no respect for me you know.

Xiao Hei [rolling eyes with disdain]: Wait! I'm older!!! Why...? Never mind! No one asked you to write her as a Supreme Goddess of an isekai/transmigration story. You reap what you sow.

Writer [eyes narrowed]: Technically, she's older. Xiao Hei, we can go back to you crawling towards death as a result of multiple assassination attempts on the road...is that what you want? I still need to find a way to kill off or get rid of that caravan man. Don't test my patience. I'm still the Boss!

XiXi: Really? Why are you talking to us then? If you really are Boss, then we shouldn't be deciding how the scenes go?

Writer [thoughtful]: Hmmmm. This is true. Ok. Good talk. Good talk. Thanks for your feedback.

Xiao Hei: We're in your cheering section. If you need help, you can always chat...about anything.

XiXi: [nods emphatically]

Writer [cheekily]: Uhm, Xiao Hei...your sabre is hanging out of your pants...and it's all wrong....

Xiao Hei [blushing, but very dignified]: Well, up to now I've been running for my life and just went through a really cold river...

Writer: Sorry about that....oh gotta go, being interrupted by real life and a screaming child....see ya!

Cui Xi: Psssshhht.

Xiao Hei [annoyed]: Shut up.

Cui Xi: Sigh...does that mean that Boss just changed your entire scene?

Xiao Hei [smug]: Yup.

Cui Xi: ....

A'Xian: Did I miss something good? [blossoms and sparkles]

Xiao Hei & XiXi [together]: ....