Part IV - The Western Emerald: 69. Tragic Love

The Seventh Prince sat back as he listened to the report of the hidden guard, his chin propped on his fist.

Murong Yan shifted speculatively watching the thunder clouds flashing over the Prince's face.

Zhao Ling Xian dismissed the guard, but all he could think about were the words: "Conversed with the Changping Shizi's barbarian servant...spoke his tongue fluently...spoke for some time..."

He should have been more disturbed that his older brother had kissed her, but somehow was more uneasy about Cui Xi's encounter with the foreigner. She had always been a little odd, but he was suddenly reminded of something that had happened about a week prior:

"I brought something for you," he said smiling, and brought a small bowl out from behind his back as he entered her courtyard.

"Lizhi!" she squealed, instantly snatching one and biting into the soft red outer skin, cracking it open. Cui Xi immediately shucked it and stuffed the translucent white fruit into her mouth, eyes closed in ecstasy, savouring the explosion of sweetness.

While Cui Xi turned to spit the little brown pit out, she missed the look of disbelief that rippled across the Seventh Prince's face.

Lizhi was a tribute from the south and could only by obtained by the imperial court. Not even the left prime minister could get it without it being granted by the emperor. It was not possible for a commoner to know what it looked like, much less what it tasted like and yet Cui Xi had immediately popped one into her mouth with the delighted pleasure of familiarity. He had not needed to tell her what it was.

It was moments like this when the Seventh Prince's misgivings about her identity were strongest. She was baffling. Only a princess of the imperial court could have eaten this fruit before...and yet...

"Are they all for me?" she asked, eyes bent into cute crescents of happiness. She stood up on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek, her actions innocent and completely unguarded. She slipped her arms around him and inhaled, taking in his clean masculine scent.

"Mmmnnn," she said contently, her head snuggled into his chest.

He was stood quite stiffly, bowl in one hand, the other hand hanging in the air, not quite sure what to do. After all, he was still getting used to be on the receiving end of her affection.

Sighing, he bent sideways to set the bowl down and then encircled her in his embrace, resting his cheek on top of her head. He held her tightly.

What am I to do about this?

That innocent cuddle had completely disarmed him.

Jerking back to the present, he concluded that these moments were the most troubling. With so much at stake, if she was truly a spy then she could wreck him at any moment, but his own reactions reinforced how deeply he was entangled in his feelings for her. Moreover, he could not discount that she had yielded herself entirely to him...her devotion, once committed, appeared wholehearted...which is likely why she had fought so hard against him in the beginning.