Chapter 8

I hear a noise, it sounds like footsteps, and they are coming towards me fast.
It makes me break eye contact with Jake, who is still looking out of his window at me.

I smile as I see my two best friends running towards me as fast as their legs will carry them.

"Hey, where have you been? We've been searching everywhere for you," Meg says, grabbing one of my hands in hers.
Jess grabs my other hand in a death grip and between them they drag me away to my bedroom, moaning how it's going to take them ages to get me party ready.

"Are you actually going to let me explain where I've been or are you just going to pull my arms off?"

I don't think I've ever seen them both so determined in my entire life.

They drag me through the packhouse, up the stairs, and down some corridors. Just one more corner to go before we can see my bedroom door.

Turning that last corner.
I see him.
Nic.
It looks like he's about to walk away until he see us.
His green eyes lock with my blue ones and I'm lost. The intensity his look gives me makes me blush like an idiot.

We come to a halt in front of him and it's only then I realise the small smirk on his lips.
But I don't know at this moment in time if I'm angry that he hasn't bothered with me since last night or happy that he is now here waiting for me.

Thinking about about for a second...

I'm going with angry.

And I know just the thing to piss him off.

Knowing it's going to take more than a smile my way for me to forgive him so easily, I put my little plan into action.
I slowly look up into his eyes with a smile of my own.

"Can I please speak with you privately Eden?"

I look over my shoulder at Meg and Jess who have already entered my bedroom and slyly watching us.

"Of course Alpha," I say with as much sweetness in my voice as I can muster.

I hear the gasps from my best friends because they know that I've just primed a ticking time bomb and now are standing back ready for it to explode.

The last time I called him that was when he had just become Alpha, and let me tell you, he was super angry with me.

He shouted at me that he doesn't expect me to ever call him that.

I had to apologise to him for two days straight. It was ridiculous.

But I'm hoping he now feels a little bit of what I have felt today.
I don't have to wait to long though. His whole face changes. Gone is the smirk as his mouth forms a hard line, his eyes narrow and the colour flicks between his beautiful green to the golden flecks of his wolf Shadow.

I would say my mission has been accomplished.

Next thing I know he has grasped my wrist tightly and starts to drag me behind him.
I see we are heading to his office as he pulls me through the door and slams it shut behind us.

"What the fuck was that?" He is breathing heavily and his chest is rising and falling like he's struggling to keep his control.

Do I care?

Nope.

So I push him a little further.

"I'm sorry Alpha, I don't know what you mean." Looking him in the eyes again, which by the way for a werewolf to do to a higher ranking wolf is forbidden.
There are only two ways to deal with an Alpha...
1, To submit,
2, To challenge.

I suppose challenging him is more fun but even I'm thinking I've pushed him to far, until I remember how he's hurt me today.

And I'm certain the only reason I'm still alive though is because we've been friends forever.

He stands there staring at me, his nostrils flaring, his eyes are now nearly completely golden.
I stand my ground, I can't back down now. Nic seems to notice this as well as he steps forward. My instinct tells me to step back and lower my head into submission but I fight it.
Instead I hold my head up staring directly at him, hopefully showing him I'm not a bit intimidated.

I have to admit though I am peeing my pants right now.

He stands in front of me with his face lowered towards mine.
I keep telling myself not to lose my nerve, but it's damn difficult when he's this close. I can feel his breath warming my face and in that moment my anger starts to dissipate.

"Would you like to tell me what the hell all that was about now?"

"What was what?"

"I've told you before to never call me Alpha. What the hell Eden? Why? You may be my ma...um.. friend, but don't ever think being my friend will protect you from me."

I could see his anger fading. And I sighed quietly when I saw the smirk return to his lips.
I can't get over how my body reacts to him.

He steps back finally allowing me to breathe again.

Sighing, "Why haven't I seen you today Nic? It's my birthday and this is the first time I've seen you all day."

"Is that what all that Alpha shit was about? Seriously Eden?" He says whilst running a hand through his hair.

I've known Nic long enough to know that he only does that when he's stressed.  Like a habit he knows nothing about.

I smile thinking about it, when I'm suddenly lifted off the ground.
I squeal at the sudden movement. Which makes him laugh loudly.

"So you got angry with me for not wishing you a happy birthday huh?"

Hitting his arm lightly, "Put me down."

"Not until I'm forgiven," shaking his head from side to side just to prove his point.

I look at him again smiling, "Fine you're forgiven this time, but don't think I will forgive you so easily next time. You got it?" Poking my finger into his chest.

As he lowers me gently to the floor, "I'm sorry about running off yesterday and not seeing you today, I really am."

I was just about to reply when I felt the blood drain from my face and in the next minute the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced shoots down my spine. Without thinking I scream so loud I would be surprised if neighbouring packs didn't hear me.

I couldn't do anything.
I couldn't think.
I couldn't talk.
I couldn't walk.

I was slightly aware that Nic was holding me again. But the pain wasn't stopping.

I could hear a voice in the back of my mind, I thought it was Nic but it didn't sound like him. I'm not sure who's it is but I know I have to listen. So I do what it's telling me, so looking at Nic I scream, "I need Jake."