Chapter 32

I decided to take Meg and Jess to my own bedroom to explain everything. It didn't sit well with me to take them to Nic's room.
They may be my best friends but I don't need them snooping around my mates bedroom, and I didn't think Nic being their Alpha would have liked the idea of it either.

So here we are sitting in the middle of my bed in a circle discussing all the information that I've just told them.

"So basically you're telling us that Jake and Ana have been kidnapped, Gerty was your grandmother but she was killed, the rogue Alpha used to be our packs Beta and your father turned up alive after 18 years. Have I missed out anything?" Meg says barely sucking in a breath.

"Yep, in a nutshell."

"Goddess! How are you so calm?" Meg says again, this time her breathing is more steady.

I sigh looking at her, "Trust me, I have been far from calm."

I look over towards Jess. She seems to have gone quiet. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Before she even speaks I know she's going to lie. I've seen that look before and I know what it means.
She's going to lie so I don't get upset with what she wants to say.

"Nothing."

"Don't lie to me Jess. You're one of my best friends but I will still slap the shit out of you. You know I will." I can't help the small smirk that settles on my face.

"Fine! I'm mad at myself okay."

"What? Why?"

"Because it shouldn't have been Ana or Gerty that left the safe room to help you. It should have been me." Her head lowers slightly and she points a finger in to her chest. As she raises her head again, her eyes are blazing. "I'm your best friend Eden. It should have been me. Not Ana. Not Gerty. Not even Jake. Me."

I'm lost for words. I've never seen Jess look so angry before. But luckily Meg jumps in to the conversation before it gets awkward.

She puts one hand in the air like we're in school and wanting to ask the teacher a question. "Um, I would like to say something."

Me and Jess both turn and stare at her wondering what she's about to say.

"I would like to just point out that I am Eden's best friend too." Her gaze then falls on Jess. "So if you should of helped Eden, then I should have as well. There is no way you're taking full responsibility for this mistake missy."

Jess sucks in a breath as Meg narrows her eyes with a look of  'I dare you to disagree with me.'

My goddess what would I do without these two in my life.

I think back to what my father said about Denie being my mother's best friend and it brings a smile to my face knowing she had someone just as special in her life, like I have in mine.

The sacrifices they were willing to do for me. Not as their Luna, but as their best friend. I couldn't love them more if I tried.

I'm so lucky, even if sometimes I really don't feel like I am.

I look over at both of them again and to their surprise and my own if I'm honest, I throw myself at both of them for a group hug.
Because they were taken by surprise they both land flat on their backs as a small shriek leaves them. I can't help the laugh that leaves me, and before I know it all three of us are laughing hysterically.

Thankfully it seems to relieve the tension in the room to as I climb off them. We were all laughing so much that we are crying. And just for that short while all my troubles are a distant memory.  But once the laughter fades so does the fuel that's been keeping me going since last night and I feel even more tired than I did earlier.

A yawn escapes my mouth and I quickly pull my hand up so it can't been seen.
But nothing gets passed these girls. Or me come to that because I can now see clearly how tired they both look too.
It's been a long night for everyone and right now I just want to sleep before we make a plan to get my twin and Ana back safely.

"How about we let you get some rest. It's been the longest night and I feel tired and I'm sure Meg does too?"

Jess seems to of cooled down with the group hug we had and our hysterical moment. Praise the goddess. Her temper can get quite scary sometimes.

"That sounds like a plan. I don't know what I would do without you both. I love you both so much."

I lay down on my bed and drag the duvet up around my chin as I hear them reach the door.

"We love you too." I hear in unison from them as the door quietly shuts behind them.

For the first time in who knows how many hours, I close my eyes and let the darkness take me.

****

I jump awake, nearly falling off my bed. My heart is beating rapidly and I have droplets of sweat covering my body.
I don't know what woke me up so suddenly, until I feel a sharp pain in my stomach.

I scream as another wave of pain hits me and I curl myself in to a ball.
My breathing is harsh but shallow as I try to breath through the pain. More sweat appears covering my skin that had previously been dry only seconds ago. Trying to wipe the sweat from my forehead, I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

A louder scream leaves my mouth as another flash of pain ricorchets through my stomach.
I try and mindlink Nic but I'm in to much pain to concentrate.

I decide my best bet is to try and get to Nic's office instead. Even though I'm not sure how on earth I'm going to do that yet. So without thinking to much about it I edge myself to the side of the bed. I only get one foot on the floor before I collapse in a heap with a loud thud.

The moment my body hits the floor my bedroom door flies off it's hinges and my terrified looking mate stands in the doorway. He looks puzzled as his eyes scan the room until he finds me curled up on the floor in agony.
He rushes over and I just about hear a few curses leave his lips as he scoops down and picks me up in his strong arms.

Just as I'm thinking the pain is starting to subside another wave of pain hits me. It's so strong that I jerk up and almost headbutt Nic in the face.

"Nic, what's happening to me?" I gasp, clinging on to him like my life depends on it.

Another string of curses leave him as he answers me, "I think the wolfsbane that was pumped in to Jake is wearing off." He mumbles quietly whilst gently stroking my hair.

"What?"

I feel his whole body tense next to me, until I hear him sigh and pull me closer, "I think you're feeling the pain that Jake's going through right now."

I stare up at him as my tears start to fall down my cheeks. This can't be happening. Not to my brother.

Nic pulls me on to his lap and kisses my tear stained cheek, "I'm so sorry my love. We'll get him back. You have my word."

After an eternity the pain finally starts to ease off. Nic has held me the entire time and not once has his hold loosened. My eyes becoming like lead weights I close them relieved in the thought that Jake isn't enduring anymore torture, and before I know it the darkness has come for me again.