Chapter 18

DOMINIC'S  P.O.V.

Hearing those words through the open mindlink made my blood run cold.

Answering through the mindlink to my border control that I'm on my way, I quickly close it.

My first thoughts are what are the chances of being attacked on the day Eden and Jake both shifted into white wolves.

I know stranger things has happened in the world but something doesn't feel right to me.

Quickly mindlinking to my best warrior, 'Raymond, talk!'

'Alpha, rogues are attacking on the North side. I'm guessing a good two hundred so far, maybe more.'

'I'm on my way.' I say as I cut the link.

My eyes glide down to Eden and I can't help the tight grip I have on her arm.
Worry consumes me as I watch her. I can't look away, and I don't want to let her go.

I can see she's trying her hardest to put on a brave face but no matter what her beautiful face is saying, our mate bond is saying the complete opposite.

She's scared.

And that makes me angry.

I want to stay with her. Keep her safe. But as Alpha my place is at the front leading my pack.
That means leaving my mate and that's not something I'm happy about.

The only thing to give me comfort at the moment is the fact my father had a safe room built for attacks like these to keep the woman and children safe.
I never really understood when I was growing up why my father was so determined to build it. No one ever dared attack our pack, we are the strongest after all.
But now I am starting to understand as to what he was thinking, and I've never been so grateful to my father.
I know Eden will be safe there, and knowing she's safe gives me the strength to leave her alone.

"Eden, when I leave I need you to get to the safe room. No matter what happens you don't stop. Do you understand me?" I rush out.

I know she is going to reply but I haven't the time to waste. I need to get to the North side of our territory and I need her to get to the safe room quickly.

"But..." I don't give her a chance to fully reply as I slam my lips to hers, turn around and run from the packhouse.

In a matter of seconds I'm jumping off the porch and shifting into my wolf.
Shadow lets out a ferocious howl, letting my pack and the rogues know that I'm on my way to the fight.

Shadow runs full speed through the woods heading North. He jumps easily over broken branches and fallen trees.
I can hear the fighting in the distance and with each step it gets louder.

I'm just coming to the clearing where the fighting is taking place when I see something to my right through the trees.
It's going fast and it almost looks white as it runs.

My heart drops when I realise it's Jake.
I shouldn't be surprised he is my Beta after all but I never got the chance to warn him not to shift and for some reason I can't control my anger. I feel furious that he has put himself and his sister in jeopardy.

The feeling overwhelmes me and I know Eden will be able to feel it through the mate bond. But I don't care.

Shadow turns abruptly in Jake's direction but it's to late. I watch still furious but also proudly of my best friend as his wolf jumps onto a group of rogues that were attacking two of my warriors.

But as I'm watching Jake silence falls all around the woods. There is no noise at all. No movement and it's eerie as hell.

I glance around and I see all eyes are on Jake.
Not just the rogues eyes but also that of our warriors.

I mindlink Jake, I need him gone. His wolf is a special one I have no idea what will happen if he stays here.

'Jake.'

'Nic, why is everyone staring at me?'

'I haven't the time to explain. Get out of here. Go to the safe room, Eden is already there.'

He seems to have an internal struggle with himself when he looks at me then back at wolves staring at him then back to me.

'That's an order Beta!'

Relieved he nods at me and runs back into the trees, heading in the direction of the safe room.
A few of the rogues try to chase him but get tackled to the ground by my warriors.
Everyone goes back to fighting each other when Jake's white wolf blends into the darkness of the woods and disappears into the night.

I don't get much of a chance to recover when all of a sudden five rogues charge at me. Their red eyes locked on me while snarling. Baring their teeth as a droplet of saliva falls from their mouths.

Shadow makes easy work of them as they all lay motionless on the ground in a puddle of their own blood.

I turn to see more rogues coming my way when I hear Eden in my head. 'Nic, are you there?'

Just hearing her voice calms me, 'Eden, you better be in the safe room?'

'Um, nearly.' I hear her say timidly and I can't help the wave of anger that flows through me again.

'Get to the safe room. Now Eden! If you get harmed in any way I will kill every one of these fuckers by myself.'

'I can see it. I just wanted to make sure you were alright?'

'I'll be alright when I know you're safe.' I can't help the bite behind my words.

'I'm there. I love you.'

I sigh in relief finally knowing my mate was safe, 'I love you too.'

I run at another rogue tearing its throat out. They just keep coming though, and I feel like I'm missing a piece of a puzzle.

Normally rogues will fight hard but will retreat when outnumbered. This fight is no match for them as my pack is bigger and stronger. So why are they still fighting us? It doesn't make any sense.

The only time rogues will carry on fighting is when their Alpha is close.

Suddenly I hear a low growl behind me. One that radiates power.

I turn and see a large dark brown wolf with a scar over it's left eye.

I would know that wolf anywhere.

Logan Carter.

My father's Beta to the Blood Moon Pack. That was until he betrayed my father and our pack and turned rogue.

I never knew he became Alpha of the rogues though but he was always ruthless enough to become it.

He comes stalking out from behind a large tree. His paws digging into the ground as he walks towards me. His head held high and his eyes staring directly into mine.

He's challenging me.

And I am more than happy to except.