Chapter 27

I keep listening taking in every bit of information as Jasper continues his story.

"Your mother was extremely close to her best friend. They acted more like sisters than friends.

I remember your mother telling me how she used to get bullied badly and this one day she was getting beaten up at school when a young girl with dark hair and the brightest blue eyes came to help her.
Apparently because of her kindness they both got beaten up instead of just your mother that day.
After that they had both become targets for the bullies but also found an unbreakable friendship with each other.

I remember when she told me about her past. I was so angry, I wanted to hunt down the bullies and hurt them like they had hurt my mate.

I couldn't though because I found out later that they had been killed when their pack got attacked.
I couldn't help but be grateful that fate had stepped in and gave them the punishment they deserved.

Your mother's parents, your grandparents were killed in the attack that nearly wiped out her pack.

Seeing as her best friends parents were still alive, your mother went and stayed with them.
It wasn't long after that I was sent there to help and that's when I found your mother. My mate.

There was tears of joy and more tears of sadness when she said goodbye to her best friend, as she left to join my pack with me.

Eden Millar was the name of your mother's best friend, her saviour in a way and it's a name I will never forget because it always reminded me of you.

We would still go and visit whenever we could, and it used to make me laugh because even though your mother loved the name Eden so much to the point of calling you that name, she would always call her best friend by her nickname Denie."

I see his smile forming on his face as he says the last sentence, remembering his memories.

"When we left the hospital to take you and Jake home we were so excited. Excited to introduce you to our pack members and excited to finally have you meet my mother.
My father had walked out on us when I was a year old so it was always my mother and me.
She had wanted a grandchild for so long so when we told her we were expecting she had gone crazy with happiness.

There was so many hugs and kisses from her that I felt we couldn't breathe.
I wanted to rip Aubree away from my mother before she smothered her to death.
Even though obviously that would never happen, my mother and Aubree loved each other so much that sometimes I had to fight them both for a little attention.
My mother gives the most sloppiest kisses ever, I'm sure you have found that out by now too." He laughs loudly, then frowns as if he's thinking of something.

Oh goddess, I know he's going to ask me about Gerty. How am I going to explain to him that I know she was my grandmother and that she was killed right in front of me tonight.

Protecting me.

Sacrificing her life for me.

Will he hate me for not helping her?

Not saving her?

I'm still haunted by the memory. Even though there was nothing I could do.

I sit up, my eyes firmly on Jasper's, "I know about Gerty. She was your mother and mine and Jake's grandmother wasn't she?" I say quietly, and as gently as I can.

"What do you mean...was?"

My heart begins to ache. All the memories flooding back.

"She sacrificed herself to save me tonight. I'm so sorry."

A look of absolute pride covers his face for his mother as his stare is unwavering.
It's only then he lowers his head and takes in a deep breath.
When he raises his head again, that's when I can see this hardened emotionless gigantic man in front of me looking like a small child that's about to break.

I have no idea why but I climb off of Nic's lap, much to his reluctance and walk around the desk to my father.

Nic stands up, waiting for something to happen and so does Spencer.

Ethan, Cole, Raymond and Matthew take a step closer as well. But Jasper stays seated as I stand in front of him.

His head is low looking at the ground and his shoulders are slumped forward.

I kneel down looking up at him.

I feel tiny compared to him but something about him makes me want to comfort him.

I reach my hand out covering his that's resting on his knee but not saying a word. His head slightly rises and his watery eyes meet mine.
There is no movement other than that and after what feels like forever, he raises his other hand and covers mine that's already holding his tightly.

That's all it takes. One simple gesture and he wraps me in his arms ignoring the growl that slips out of Nic's mouth.

Eighteen years of emotions are flowing freely as we embrace each other in a tight hug.

A father I thought was dead and to him a daughter he thought he would never see again.

I can feel our bond form with the hug we are sharing. But I need to pull away for the sake of hearing the rest of his story.

We can rebond as a family when we get Jake back and I'm hoping that's going to be sooner rather than later.

Pulling away from my father was harder than I thought it would be. But I know the rest of his story is something I need to hear.

I take a step back as Nic grabs my wrist, pulling me back around the other side of his desk retaking his seat with me pulled on to his lap again.

He burrows his face in to my neck, breathing deeply. I can feel his relief through the mate bond.
He was worried for me being so close to Jasper.

But seriously what was going to happen to me with all of my protectors in here.

I roll my eyes with a little smirk on my lips.

Everyone else goes back to their positions.

Spencer sits back down.

Ethan, Cole, Raymond and Matthew all take a step back again. Resuming their places by the wall on either side of the room.

All focus goes back to Jasper as he takes another steadying breath.

He closes his eyes as his mouth opens and he let's out a sigh, and I know the rest of his story is going to follow.