Chapter 1.

Three Months Earlier.

"You'd think these turbo self-cleaning toilets would thank you for your service with a celebratory jig when you're done." The woman beside me chuckled as water ran down her lathered hands into the bathroom sink before us.

   This was the second time she'd said that.

   Still wasn't funny.

"Why are you surprised? Could you hurry up?" I sighed onto my open palms.

"I don't think we have to worry about pissing off a hologram. Where does Edna have to be? Who calls a hologram Edna anyway?"

"Well, I really don't think the visitors outside would be pleased. And our tour guide," I emphasised, "not just a hologram, Edna, shouldn't have to be kept waiting. Holograms have feelings too."

"Oh you weird, weird child." She smiled. "You are going to fit in just fine."

   I eluded her incoming smother and tried not to yell at the woman with similar brown eyes matching her skin and kinky cornrows whose maniacal chuckles attracted embarrassing stares as we left the bathroom.

   Quite a mouthful, I know, but I think I'd prefer calling her that to Mum from now on.

"You know," she whispered as we rejoined the small crowd at the back. "You already got in. You don't have to be sooo excited."

   I hurried from her sarcasm to join the small group once more. How were we losing the rest again already?

"Oh, come on." Mum grinned, when she caught up with me. "Although, I almost don't blame you for being a tight ass."

"Hey!"

"If you take a look to the left, you would see the football field that Zavlon Academia takes pride in," Edna informed the group as her holographic frame glided through the halls. "This school believes that students should not just be limited by the conventions of science. We try as much as possible to ensure some forms of diversity and get into the students' interests. That's why we also have a hockey field, a tennis court and a volleyball court. There are multiple clubs as well. As known by most, our robotics club has remained the reigning champions of the World Robotics Tournament. We also have the Astrology Club, Three Dimensional Chess Club, the AV Club..."

   I forced my sight elsewhere as Mum kept mouthing the words, 'three dimensional chess' to me. I couldn't hold back my sigh of awe, however, as my eyes remained glued to the facilities being displayed. They never failed to baffle me with each glance. It was like...like...

   Like Hogwarts and Technology had a love child.

   Edna continued, "Our library can be found a few blocks away. It is fully stocked with all the textbooks so students don't have to struggle with their studies or research. There are also audio books and private screening rooms which display reenactments of the practical lessons of teachers just in case they don't get it the first time."

   The lunchroom was next. Then a few of the many classrooms. The ones that weren't filled with Zavlonians that is. Zavlonian. The name of every student lucky enough to grace the hallways of Zavlon Academia. That title earned a smile from me. It certainly had a nice ring to it.

"Okay!" The holographic tour guide turned to the group, beaming. "This is the moment where we disperse. Feel free to wander off and give a little self-tour before we meet again in thirty minutes at this very spot for our lunch break."

   As the members of the group began to disperse, I bent over to whisper to Mum beside me, "Let's go check out the library. I really want to visit those private screening rooms mentio–"

   I stopped with a frown of confusion upon noticing Edna hold up her hand and call for what was left of the separated group of visitors.

"Before we go our separate ways, I'll just like to make a quick announcement. Ladies and gentlemen, it's no secret Zavlon has always been hyper focused on ensuring equal opportunities for everyone." Edna's empty stare suddenly turned sombre. "We realised over the years, however, that complacency started to kick in. Which is why we decided to redeem ourselves through one of the best ways possible!"

   The grip on my mother's arm continued to loosen until it slipped right off. Heat brewed from the pits of my gut, travelling to the sides of my face. My left and right fingers had suddenly found each other, toying in an almost pleading way, acting out how much I wanted the moment which hadn't even begun to end.

   But it didn't.

"We are proud to introduce you to Beth Simmons! She is the only winner of the Zavlon Scholarship Slot Competition that we held some weeks ago. Beth is transferring here this semester from Ridgeton High School. This school loves to help out students with immense potential but, like Beth, limited avenues, as you can see. Beth is going to be our newest sophomore and Zavolonian. Once again, I'm Edna. Enjoy the rest of the tour!"

***

"Gosh, that was draining!" Mum couldn't stop huffing on our way to the car.

   After what seemed like forever, my orientation tour had finally ended. When I returned to Zavlon Academia next week, I was going to be in my uniform, walking through the halls like every other Zavolonian.

   Currently though, I can't wait to go home.

"We were given self-driving carts all the way to the car park," I pointed out.

   For the first time since my arrival, my heart dropped as I gazed back at the large structures that made up my new school.

"Don't have that face."

   I fumbled with the car's handle beside me, trying to pretend I didn't hear Mum's warning tone.

   Because being a publicised charity case should make me the happiest girl alive. I should have known this was just another means for upper-class jerks to do whatever they thought would pacify whatever was left of their guilty conscience. Why did I have any doubts when I decided to make the bravest choice of my life?

   Obviously, I was going to fit right in after that public display of who I was.

"You might not be a rich, over privileged kid who got in because 'Daddy' donated a building but don't think for a second that you're less than." My mother said, "There were 200 applicants and you were the only one chosen. The only one! Do you understand what that means? Who cares how they may see you? Where were they for the nights I was certain you had finally transitioned to a mad scientist because you were preparing so much for this?"

"I know I'm not supposed to, but it bugs me. I didn't think it would, I promise but," A frown stayed etched in my features as I recalled earlier, "but then all the other students just seemed to have settled into these roles, like they each have this unique stance that makes them belong. But I, well, I just...don't."

"The only way you'll really belong is if you go in there with the same fire that got you in and not just show, but be what you're made of." She moved from her spot to wrap an arm around my shoulders.

   As I breathed in my embodiment of home in a full embrace, my mind was suddenly purged. My thoughts and stare travelled to the looming edifices once more.

   It was still terrifying, no doubt, but not enough to stifle the over the moon emotions that were still somehow optimistic for this new adventure.

"Just be," I echoed to myself in a whisper.

"Don't you forget it." She held on tighter.

"Can I call Edna a bitch now?" Mum asked with an expectant grin as we parted.

"No. She's not worth it."

   Yes.

   Screw that holographic bitch.

A/N: Thank you so much for giving "Free Minds" a chance! Please vote and comment any thoughts.

Originally published  on 12th September, 2021.

QOTD:  How do you find this introduction to Free Minds?