Chapter 12.

Running has never been my strong suit. If it was for all of us really, then what would be the use for athletes?

   What would you do though, when you've finally admitted to yourself that the nightmare before your eyes was very, very real? And you were staring into not one, but two advancing pairs of the yellow eyes you had ran away from in Tunnel Six? And your life was on the line?

   And... okay, that's about it.

   The growls erupting behind me fueled the run for my life. Speeding through the hallway, my mind stayed geared towards only one goal: to get through Zavlon's gates as fast as I could. At the alarming rate at which my breathing capabilities were declining, however, the chances of achieving this aim started to look bleak.

   Dark spots began to taint my vision as I raced into the school's compound.

   I was, however, met with confusion when right in front of me were the two creatures I was sure I'd lost, facing me with harsh glares.

   How was this even possible? They were just on my tail a few seconds ago! How fast were these things?

   The next growl that boomed came from behind me. I let out a choked cry when I finally realised what was happening. The monsters in front of me were not the same ones following from behind. My heart picked up more speed when I caught sight of an extra three of them from the corner of my eye. How were this many able to hide in the tunnel this long? I was now afraid to guess the exact number lurking on school grounds.

   Suddenly, the wind that had barely just found its way back to my lungs was knocked out as a hairy arm dug into my side to lift me off the ground.

   No words to describe my despair when the creature's steps drew me further and further away from the gate.

"Pu-me-do-" I couldn't even protest at the way I was being manhandled and made to bounce around in ways definitely illegal to human anatomy.

   Yes, yes, even illegal for strippers.

   But I couldn't just succumb when I had been so close. My gaze lowered to meet the fur-draped feet racing toward Zavlon's main doors yet again. Okay, I just had to allow my thoughts to come together. If it was possible for me to figure out the regularity between the footsteps of its abnormally quick feet, the next time he set his left foot down would be the perfect time to–

   Oh, screw that!

   Victory had never felt so painfully sweet as the animal shoved me to the ground to nurse the largest, hairiest hand I had sunk my teeth into deeper than anything or one else in my life. I managed to smirk through the pain that erupted from hitting the ground.

   Sure, my insides were battered from the agonising impact, but optimism was the only thing on my mind, spreading into my other body parts as pure adrenaline which drove me closer and closer to the gat-

"INITIATING LOCKDOWN SEQUENCE IN FIVE, FOUR..."

   This was not going to stop me. Even if I had to tap into a never before level of athleticism.

"AHHH!!" I screamed, my arms flailing in every possible way as I dashed toward the closing gates.

   I guess crazy was another reliable source. But who could worry about that when it was currently the best way to run faster? According to my questionable body anyway.

"ONE!"

   I would have acknowledged the gate's cold metal grazing my arm if the obvious risk of becoming a human sandwich wasn't stealing the show. What appeared to linger for eternity though proved to be another fleeting moment. It took a few seconds to register how the air felt different on the other side of the gate. Less... murderous.

   I made it through!

   The sounds of rushing footsteps already echoing from where I had just escaped wouldn't spare time for a victory dance I would have killed.

   Now, to make it through the ten-minute path walk, whatever-minute run to freedom.

   When the bus stop came into view, my erratically beating heart dropped at the sight of an empty stop. Then it dawned on me how much time had passed. Was there even any point to running anymore?

   I came to a stop, feeling all forms of pressure on my chest as I let out heavy breaths. I whipped my head toward the gates I had only just escaped through.

   At the risk of not sounding dramatic, did this mean this was the end? Maybe my mum would hear my confession that I love her through our mother-daughter telepathic connection that she always lied about before...

   The familiar colours of green and gold bus flashed before my eyes. The familiar vehicle was heading toward the bus stop. Although it was still quite a distance from the stop and moving at a steady speed, I didn't waste time taking to my heels yet again.

"Wait." My parched throat lowered my attempted yell into a whisper.

   For the third time today and hopefully the rest of the year, I sprinted toward it like my life depended on it.

"WAIT!"

It took a miracle to not choke on my relieved sob when the bus pulled to a slow stop. I gripped the door with a loose grip as I jumped into it.

   I yanked out whatever notes I had felt for in my pocket and shoved it into the money collector beside Mr. Remi.

"Beth, are you okay?" he frowns, clearly trying— and failing—not to stare.

"Yes." Maybe a smile will mask my heavy breathing enough to convince him I'm not deranged. "Of course I am. I'm just running late, as you can probably tell. Can we go please?"

   The shallow number in the bus today was not enough to lessen the weight of each passenger's ogles. With my head hung low, I shuffled to the back of the bus. It was only after I took solace in the seat that the intense burns and aches finally took their revenge on every inch of my dishevelled frame.

   Daring to sneak a peek through the window to my right, I was met with the typical picture perfect Zavlon. It still stood with its deceptive walls, its single pathway in view and neighbouring woods stretched out on both sides of the path.

   There wasn't a predator in sight.

A/N: Thank you all so much for your support 🎉❤️!

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Favourite Colour?

Blue💙🦋

Follow me on instagram : @zwrites._

I follow back!

Published: 23rd September, 2021.