Chapter 35.

"Just connected two cameras to my phone. When I set them on the floor, they'll respond to and move around with the help of these," Dorian stated.

   I selected one of the two remotes he held out my way.

"You'll have to walk next to them when they start moving since we need to know how durable these cameras are on the ground," he continued on. "I, on the other hand, will be tracking the video quality of each camera. Once I sync my phone with the cameras, I'll be able to see whatever the devices capture. You'll have to go as far as you can from where I'm currently standing so that we can see the effects of various lighting and conditions on the camera."

"Okay." I responded, averting my eyes when he bent over to place the devices on the ground.

   Dorian fidgeted with his phone, giving periodic glances in the direction of the cameras until he stared at me and said, "It's connected. Let's start with one."

   I could only hope any relief I felt at the idea of distancing myself from Dorian wasn't too obvious. Eagerness coursed through me as I worked with the remote in hand. With caution in my thinking, I decided to work the cameras at a slower pace, making sure they matched the nature of my steps.

   It was hard to concentrate. Especially when I couldn't help but be aware that the person whom I'd just shared a moment with didn't have to struggle to view me through my most unflattering camera angle.

   Who was I kidding? These bloody 360 degree angle cameras had probably many more terrible angles of me.

   But not even those thoughts of paranoia could divert my mind from how his embrace had felt. As much as I tried to focus on the camera I was controlling, the sneaky thought (or rather feeling) of regret when he pulled away wouldn't leave.

   The only words he'd spoken since then were only camera related. I should be relieved. Rig—?

"Beth!" My frame turned backwards to the sound of Dorian's call. "Slow down! I can barely observe the surroundings at the speed at which the camera is going. Beth, can you hear me?"

   I frowned, looking down at the remote. My fingers were no longer pressed on any buttons or sticks. When I shifted my gaze to the camera however, I was horrified to see the device rolling toward the edge of the roof with full force, showing no signs of slowing down.

   After several useless shots to use the remote, I took to my heels. My eyes never left the device as it continued to skid toward the part of the roof's edge with narrow spaces through its raised borders.

   Shit. It was going to fall off if I didn't do something.

   My quick steps transitioned into a crouch, then an eventual leap towards the very edge of the roof, catching the camera just in time. This, however, led to me almost toppling over myself. As I gripped the borders of the roof to steady myself, a full view of the ground several miles below came into view. For a moment, I believed the jerk my body experienced was going to be my literal downfall.

   I scrambled away from the roof as far as I could on all fours, struggling to catch my breath.

"Beth?" Dorian's voice and face were a blur as he towered over me. "I followed you the minute I realised what happened. Are you okay? Did you get the camera?"

   Each breath was a slice to what I would safely assume was my chest and not heart. I shoved the camera toward him when I arose and focused on regulating my breaths. Cupping my hands over my mouths and trying to slowly breathe wasn't working.

   The image of the ground from the roof was still too vivid to get out of my head. The trauma of falling had overtaken my thoughts and it took crazy concentration to not suffocate.